Detroit 60 Oil Temperature Range/Code?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by tallmon, May 29, 2015.

1. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    What's a good range for Detroit 60 oil temp? We've been at 200 or so since we've had the truck. When it's really working it goes to 210 - 215.

Just today started getting a code for
    Engine Oil Temperature, Voltage above normal or shorted high. Code 128/75/3

When we get the code the fan comes. Since the oil temp has been the same since we had the truck, could it be just the sensor gone bad? If so, WHERE is that sensor?

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Oil temp and pressure sensors are on the drivers side at the back of the head. The temperature is the one on the bottom. This sounds possibly like a sensor issue because normal temps for me are between 150-175 on flat or rolling hills.

The computer is set up to turn on the fan when the reading from the temp sensor gets wacky.

tallmon Thanks this.
  4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Could be a bad sensor, but a wiring issue is just as likely. Check the plug on the sensor for any signs of corrosion and give a tug on each wire. It's fairly common for the wires to break internally at the plug. You can get a harness repair plug kit for all your sensors.

If this is a DDEC III/IV engine, your fuel temp sensor is the the same as the oil temp sensor (may be true for DDEC V as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that). You could swap them. It it throws the same code, it's not the sensor. If it throws a fuel temp code, you know it's the sensor.

little cat 500 Thanks this.
  5. tallmon

Oct 22, 2014
    Good idea- where is the fuel temp sensor? The new oil temp sensor is only $15 so I'm just going to swap it out.

6. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    For $15, you can't go wrong, even if it's not the problem, you'll have a spare. The fuel temp sensor is by the fuel pump. Usually in a tee right on the pump, but sometimes in a hose. Usually right near the fuel pump on the back of the air compressor.

If I remember correctly, fuel temp, oil, temp, manifold air temp and water temp all have the same sensor. On DDEC V, the manifold sensor was changed to plastic to help with heat soaking. Some older water temp sensors were much larger threads, but the function of the sensor is the same, they just need a bushing to install it.

7. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    yep had my broken wire at sensor drive me crazy.

8. tallmon

Oct 22, 2014
    Yep, it's the sensor. It's L shaped and the plastic part just spins freely. I'm still amazed that the replacement part is only $15.

9. tallmon

Oct 22, 2014
    I just want to double check where the sensor is. This is a Detroit 60 14 liter. is the sensor on the right side of the engine about mid level, very back , two sensors one next to the other? The one that L shaped is that the oil temperature sensor?

10. Truvker dad

Truvker dad Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2018
    My oil temperature sensor is in my oil pan on the driver's side on my 60 series detroit.Thats the one that tells oil temperature to gauge .

11. Truvker dad

Truvker dad Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Actually the water temperature sensor located at side of head towards the back is what tells your computer the water temp. Then the fan comes on if it gets around 210 degrees. The oil temp. Sensor is on drivers side of the oil pan.It tells your oil temp gauge how hot your oil is.My oil temperature usually runs around 200 to 210 degrees

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.