Detroit 60 series 14L sputtering in high gears and throws out puff of black smoke

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by devontes, Jun 20, 2012.

1. larx

larx Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Not the get valve. I meant EGR valve. Spell check messed me up there.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DonRobbie

DonRobbie Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Midwest
    We've had problems with the smaller passages in the EGR system building up carbon on some of our Detroits. Clean em out with a wire and they're good for a year then have to do it again (but we run local). Mechanic found the problem after a lot of head scratching.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I'm waiting for the mechanic to show up to replace the EGR. Since the last oil change it's used very little oil. About two weeks ago I replaced the elbow leading to the turbocharger.

Last night bobtailing back home I still had some issues with power loss and surge, but not nearly as bad as under load.

This morning the oil was at the fill line, down about 1/2 from fill to topped out, all that in a day.

I noticed soot all over the area in front of the turbo. Comments welcome. 20160220_111825.jpg

5. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Under the turbo and Turbo Actuator there has been a slight oil leak. Now this area is worse. 20160220_115704.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  6. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Mechanic finished the work and I had a chance to run it bobtail. Smooth idle now. I can feel a smoother transition of power from 1100 to 1500, used to really lage and kick in weakly around 1300.

EGR was not replaced. He replaced the Delta Pressure Sensor. One of the hoses had blown a hole, which created the soot on top of the engine.

He also took out the Turbo Actuator, cleaned it, and put in a new gasket and O-rings. That should take care of the oil leak under the turbo. He asked me to call him after I've had a chance to pull a heavy load, so he can adjust the actuator. He thought by eyeballing it the stop bolt was too long, preventing full power and the arm adjustment may need to lengthen a tad. 20160221_180035.jpg 20160221_175850.jpg

afsargeant and jonargal Thank this.
  7. firecatf7333

firecatf7333 Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Bump to this thread as there's about 10 solutions posted here and I've got the same symptoms. I'm going to shorten the rod 1 turn. Also mentioned was to clean out the EGR small passages with a wire. Any pics or details how to do this.

My 07 series 60 seems to only do this under a load and in 9th or 10th... Not low gears

8. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I don't know about cleaning the EGR with a wire, but from my experience replacing the Delta Air Pressure Sensor and taking out the Turbo Actuator and taking it apart to clean it and replace the gasket and o-rings that took care of the problem. It increased mpg 0.4 and increased torque range of rpm's, I don't need to downshift as often pulling grades when loaded.

I agree with you that there can be a variety of problems with the symptoms I had and you have. Fortunately the owner of the truck had a good mechanic that took care of the problem with a minimum of component replacement.

Question: do you have soot on top of the engine? If so look at the short hoses leading to the Delta Air Pressure Sensor. One of the hoses on mine blew a pinhole leak.

9. firecatf7333

Oct 28, 2012
    The turbo actuator and vpod are same thing correct? Is the gasket and o-rings part of the actuator?

How much did you pay for a Delta air p sensor?

Thanks

10. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I can't answer whether the Turbo Actuator is the same as a vpod, nor tell you how much it cost for repairs. The owner of the truck hired a local mechanic to come out and take care of it. I watched as he explained what he was doing. As soon as he saw the soot on top of the engine he honed in on the Delta Air Pressure Sensor and found the blown hose I have pictured above. The hose blew because the sensor was shot.

He took the turbo actuator off, took it apart, and thoroughly cleaned it before reassembling with new gasket and o-rings. Then he adjusted it to factory spec (it was 3/4 turn out).

11. firecatf7333

Oct 28, 2012
    Are the O rings and gasket inside the actuator? I'm having trouble ordering them. Which gasket/rings are you referring to?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.