Diary of a New Tanker Driver - Comcar CTL

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by GolfPro, Jan 5, 2016.

1. dcnascar

dcnascar Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    Keep putting one foot in front of the other, it will all come together, in time. Be safe. I'll continue to look for your post. Good luck and GOD Speed.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Nobody is going to check your contacts GolfPro. Heck, if it worries you that much get a pair of fake glasses to slap on. That would be excessive though because I worked there 3 years and wore contacts every day. If that is what is holding you up then it's a silly reason not to go.

GoldenLad, Woodys and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. GolfPro

GolfPro Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    Knowing my luck, they'll find out and send me home for breaking company rules. I've already had enough of that.

Woodys and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. GolfPro

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    All right, here's a final update (maybe, unless someone wants me to respond to them).

I signed on with G&P trucking out of Columbia, SC. I think it's gonna suck not pulling a tank. In retrospect, I was incredibly stupid not to notify my company of my spill. And this might sound stupider, but I really thought I was going to be automatically fired if I notified them, so when the unloaders said to forget about it, I thought that was my get out of jail free card. Oh, well...live and learn.

However...

I have a couple of other non-driver possibilities. My old manager at Joseph A. Bank wants to re-hire me for the 1st assistant manager job, but it might pay $600/wk at best. I also have a possible chance to caddy at a local golf course for about $1,000/wk, but that is yet to be determined.

I have to be honest and say I'm not sure I want to remain a truck driver. I wound up writing the president of CTL, Joe M******, a heartfelt letter, but it did no good (of course he's not going to overrule his safety person). I don't understand why termination is the only option and not a lengthy suspension and a second chance, but that's the way it is. What's hard for me to take is that they will have a good, conscientious driver going forward, but they just won't budge. I threw away an $1,100/wk job - jobs that are hard to find for rookies. That's hard to take.

So if I go through with G&P, I'll be posting elsewhere. Thanks all who took an interest in this.

6. GolfPro

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    Oops, the previous post was not my final update. This is.

A golf pro job unexpectedly was offered to me in Savannah and I accepted it. It doesn't pay much, and I worry about how my wife and I will pay the bills, but golf is where my heart is. The job has a tremendous upside if we can just hang in financially for about a year - which I admit may not happen.

Had CTL not canned me, I would still be driving. They fired (if I can say this egotistically) a good guy who learned his lesson who was going to do a darn good job for them. (As a sidenote, I had a nice phone conversation with president Joe M******. He did seem like a nice guy, and our conversation was indeed cordial. I learned termination isn't automatic, but his safety person Su M******* was adamant that I be fired. Since he has to work with her and undoubtedly doesn't want to cause waves and probably trusts her judgment, he supported her decision.)

So goodbye trucking industry. And again, thanks to all who took an interest in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016
    Reason for edit: removed last names
  7. dcnascar

dcnascar Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    Good luck to you and yours, GolfPro.

GolfPro Thanks this.
  8. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Well at least you tried it out. Better to go with what you truly have a passion for anyway. And if you ever want to try out trucking down the road, they will always be looking for fresh meat to screw around with hahaha.

I do want to add though, in trucking, it is common knowledge that companies do not care about drivers. They do not care if your safe, or if your a hard worker, or if you have a family to take care of, or if your a greenhorn learning the ropes. They are only worried about keeping those wheels turning, and finding anything they can write you up on so that one day, when your making too much money, they can fire you and grab someone to do the same job for .05/mi cheaper. The only way to survive is to not give them the opportunity. To be honest with you, I'm surprised you even got to communicate with Mr. CTL. Most large companies will send you through loopholes until you either quit or shut up.

I have never worked with CTL so I can really not say if they are a fair company or not. I have had friends that worked in their bulk tanker division though, and I really don't think you'd be missing anything. They say they would max their hours out for ramen noodle wages.

Good luck though man!!!

GolfPro Thanks this.
  9. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Sorry to hear Ur leaving the industry after CTL hung U out to dry after a beginners mistake. Good luck with Ur return to the Golf business. I'm headed down to HHI, SC on Friday, if U want let me know ( on the forum or PM Me) what club Ur headed to and we'll come over and play a round. Hope to hear from you!

10. GolfPro

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    Sorry, I haven't checked the forum in awhile. Maybe next time!

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  11. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    @GolfPro , over on the Island. Would enjoy meeting Yankees or playing. Holla

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.