Diary of a New Tanker Driver - Comcar CTL

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by GolfPro, Jan 5, 2016.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    We all sucked at backing once and sometimes we all have bad backing days. Had one last night in fact, don't know how I screwed it up so bad but it doesn't matter I got it in the hole and I didn't hit anything.

Remember that, a successful back means you hit the hole and nothing else. If you are doing that then you are backing correctly, there is no time limit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GolfPro

GolfPro Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    Well, it looks like I may finally be ready for my own truck.

I'm in my fifth week of training, was originally supposed to be four. But, the first week I only did three days (they started me on a Wednesday) and last week I was out sick for two days with a terrible cold (which, by the way, was defeated in short order by Cold-Eze. If you're not using this stuff when you get a nasty cold, you're just asking for 3-4 more days of unnecessary misery). So since I missed what basically amounts to 4/5 of a week of training, they had me work four more days this week.

I'm getting okay with the hazmat suit, but as I said in another thread, I don't want to drop dead of heat stroke in the summer here in the South. I like the idea of the cooling vests so I think I'll purchase one of those. On the other hand, I get cold very easily and hot very slowly. This week it's been very cold (well, for us - in the 30°-40° range), and I'm wearing two thermal undershirts, a turtleneck, two sweatshirts, two layers of thermal underwear under my pants and a head/ear band - and I'm still freezing my rear end off during unloading. I'm definitely not looking forward to northern climes in the winter. Surely there has to be some sort of hi-tech materials that can be worn this time of year that actually works instead of that Walmart stuff I have.

The other thing is I'm STILL having trouble with air hoses, mainly taking the cap off or getting the hoses apart. Getting them on is an occasional struggle but always manageable; getting them off or apart is a chore due to my weak hands and fingers. The other day I struggled with getting the cap off on the air outlet on the top of the tank for a good three minutes before I told my trainer I was unable to do it but would give it one more try. I went back up and after another minute of struggling, somehow it came off. This is very aggravating and disheartening and needless to say, I strongly dislike this part of the job.

The part I do enjoy is driving and getting to talk to some of the other drivers where we load. When it comes to unloading, so far, every place I've been the driver is responsible for this, so nowhere have I had anyone do this for us. I'm getting more comfortable with the fact I have to dress in full hazmat gear every time I go someplace, and things are becoming more normal. I'm also hoping that once I get my own truck I get paid like I've been lead to believe and that I can make a decent living for myself and my family.

4. White_Knuckle_Newbie

White_Knuckle_Newbie Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    So GolfPro, how is the sizing of the hazmat suits?
    How much room is there when you put one on?
    Extra roomy in summer because you are wearing less clothes?
    How much room do you have when bundling up for the colder weather?
    Is it a one piece, zip up with a hood suit?
    Thanks in advanced, W-K-N.

5. GolfPro

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    There's decent enough room even with all my extra clothes. I'm wearing a separate jacket and suspender-type of pants, rubber boots (that leak - new ones coming), gloves, hard hat and goggles or safety glasses. Still not enjoying that part but I do have to live with it. I don't mind hooking up and unhooking the hoses.

ethos and White_Knuckle_Newbie Thank this.
  6. sprizo

sprizo Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I worked for CTL in the early 2000's out of Tampa hauling sulfur, fertilizer, ammonia, and acids. My first tanker job out of school. I still have all my protective gear, and the boots. Moved over to petroleum and never looked back. Good company to start out with, but the pay sucked, so I had to move on. Very good equipment, and maintenance shop.

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  7. GolfPro

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    They raised the pay dramatically last year. The recruiter told us it was 45¢ per mile and that part is true, as that's what my paperwork also says I'll be getting. There was also something about a guarantee of $1,125 per week as long as I delivered and picked up on time and refused no loads. Not sure if I'm interpreting that correctly but we'll see.

ethos and 123456 Thank this.
  8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    For the Chicago fitting on the air hoses I carry a couple of pair of vise grips. Clamp them on there and It gives you something to push against to get the tighter ones on and off.

GolfPro Thanks this.
  9. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    I'd like to know everything about their wage guarantee you mentioned.

Related - Celedon recently implemented a "WageLock" program. If I understand their pay correctly, team hazmat drivers have a $1000 per week guarantee. (I do not know the guarantee for solo hazmat drivers, or I could be misreading their chart.)
    http://www.driveceladon.com/blog/2015/11/10/wagelock-q-and-a

10. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Light Load Member

May 13, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga.
    My thought on removing the Chicago fitting for the air is this. How about carrying a very small can of wd 40 up there and rock the line enough to spray the gaskets. Then push the air hose and turn. I personally haven't had any problems. Although a new gasket does make it a little tough.

White_Knuckle_Newbie and GolfPro Thank this.
  11. GolfPro

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    Well, I am now officially a driver for CTL!

Passed the final exam, or check call, and starting out Monday morning as a solo. They're giving me local runs for at least a week, obviously to see how I do, and then I get my own truck if all goes well. Only two things I'm worried about: backing into tricky places, and not screwing up the paperwork. Other than that, I should be good to go.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.