did my maxxforce engine finally expire ?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by bzinger, Jul 25, 2015.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    its had rotella 15 40 non syn in it since new and had 30k drain intervals and just turned 400k ....its still in the shop at mcCandless in vegas and they dont think its an internal problem .
    sounds like i should have some answers from them later today or tmw morn and il post them here .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Don't they normally run like 60psi oil? Which is nuking futs! We had the same issue with one of our 6 mf engines so we decided to put a Cummins in it. It was a dirrect bolt on transmission.

It was either get a Cummins motor ot rebuild the mf again and again. It ran for a little then got rid of it..

Had its twin keep shutting down and after multiple non stop international visits. We replaced the ectrical wire harness after replacing a bunch of parts at the stealership. It turned out to be a bad wiring harness.. so yeah only Cummins prostars from now on

4. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    well smd mine normaly runs about 45 psi at highway speed warmed up ...wonder if anyone what the life expectancy of a mf engine is ?

5. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    talked to mcCandless a little wile ago and they still scratchin theyre heads over the oil pressure and consumption issues .

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    High pressure turbos are bad for failing. This will cause noise and oil consumption. Any oil in the air system? After that, the oil consumption is basically an oil quality or level issue, bad rings or valve stem seals.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    sorry it took so long to get back here ....,mcCandless never did figure out what was wrong , i drove it back to mont . where it spent another week in the shop to no avail .
    boss threw his hands up last week and bought me a 2016 prostar with cummins power .

Heavyd Thanks this.
  8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    This is a popular fix for a lot problems that just never seem to go away. Some trucks just don't want to stay fixed!

9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Why would that be? Are you saying the Maxxforce or the trans is the weak link here? I haven't seen or heard of any major issue with that setup. Probably because not a lot of that setup around right now. The Allison automatic, if anything like their other product offerings over the years, ought to be a stand up transmission. International just released they are going to offer it with the ISX in the Prostar now. I am very interested in the Allison, just not the two different motors that International is offering with it. So I won't be getting a truck with Allison any time soon.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  10. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    ive put 24000 miles on my 16 pro star with the isx and 10 speed eaton auto and cant say enough good about it and dang sure dont miss that boat anchor maxxforce .

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.