Did Prime Miss a Gear?

Discussion in 'Trucker Videos' started by scottied67, Sep 11, 2016.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Following this Prime driver down the hill I noticed he was holding it back pretty good close to 55. Most trucks scream down this hill to gain momentum to get back up the other steep side. But I get it, probably a rookie driver getting training, maybe heard all the stories about runaway trucks going downhill and such I know I did. What I didn't expect was for him to slow down as much as he did, I figure he missed his downshift at the bottom beginning incline and bogged down pretty bad. I got boxed in and trapped behind him for a moment but made a clean escape.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    It's that a radar detector on your windshield, Scottie?

4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    You could have 'read' and reacted sooner before the left lane was full of warm bodies and caused you to slow...Always Read others- Yeah I Know it Sucks- (Extra work to do) But If you want to stay ahead of these other motorists, You gotta stay Alert.

Years ago..You could sleep while driving and Not be in anyone's way

David_Simpson and scottied67 Thank this.
  5. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    after about 19 seconds of your video, why did you not react sooner, (after that last big truck passed you), and slow a bit, rather than to catch up to him, so that you could get out of that lane when you had the chance?

seems to me, you're griping about not being prepared, rather than the Prime driver going slower.

glad i only lost 19 seconds of my time, rather than the full 4 minutes.

HalpinUout and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    That's what Prime is teaching them. They claim you get better fuel mileage going down a hill at 55 than you would letting it go to 65...

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Prime trucks bog down a lot on hills when driven the "Prime way" they want you to set the cruse at 55-57 and leave it. The trucks have adaptive cruise so they will drop 3-4 mph before the turbo pressure will go above 15psi. So 6-8mph is just thrown out the window hitting a hill waiting for the cruise to kick in and the turbo to spool up.

Thats only the beginning, there are other factors that contribute to it. It's hard to keep a prime company spec truck from falling on its face at the beginning of a hill.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Dude, its Prime. He is a15 yr Veteran, STILL on his first load.
    He hit the speed limiter on the way down, and that's all she wrote.

9. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    :yes2557:

10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    It's rare, but maybe he downshifted at the bottom of the hill so he could pull the hill without shifting.
    ive been trapped behind them when they do this, because I never expect it

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Honestly did not expect him to bog down so bad. It was almost like he lost a gear and was in trouble. I don't think I could have jumped out sooner without disrupting the other traffic which was already positioned and amped up for the hill. That would have been rude of me. Rather, I took one for the team there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.