Different use for rear license plate holder?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JoeF2002, Apr 29, 2016.

1. JoeF2002

JoeF2002 Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Saylorsburg, PA
    So PA is one is of the states that requires a license plate in the front of the truck. They only give you one plate, thus nothing is allowed on the back. I'm curious though - for the void space that now sits in the back of the truck where the license plate should be, can I put a custom vanity plate instead? Not a PA tag. But something like one of those airbrushed plates or my own creation.

Do you guys know if the DOT would frown on putting a dummy / vanity plate on the back area since it isn't being used at all? Or do they not want to see anything back there at all?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. India303

India303 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Arizona
    You get an Arizona flag license plate and you can't go wrong. Know why? Because we have the coolest looking state flag and it's an awesome state.

Seriously, DOT will "generally" know what state issues one or two states and regs where ea state requires the plate. As long as it is displayed in the manner regulated where you have the vehicle registered. What you do with that other place left open for a plate? Whatever you want. Freedom of speech applies.

As a LE if I had seen an out of state licensed vehicle and had only one plate, and mounted to the front and did not know if that's the way it was supposed to be, being that states commonly requires a rear mounted plate, there sufficient cause to stop and investigate. But if it came to the driver telling me they were from PA and that state required you to place it on the front, for a simple stop, well that's pretty much it. I may try to google just to know or if I thought the driver was full of it but I wouldn't cite on something I was not thoroughly familiar and wouldn't cite on out of state licensing regs. If anything I'd call that state's highway patrol if there were other suspicious circumstances warranting a further investigation. otherwise it is what it is.

Being from AZ I've been pulled over by cops in Mexico for not having a front plate. They flagged motorist over as they came to a check point. Once pulled over they saw the AZ plate in the back and let me go w/o further questioning.

JoeF2002 Thanks this.
  4. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    From what I've noticed, most states don't require rear plates. Makes sense MOST of the time I guess. I can't see how DOT or anybody else could tell you not to put a vanity back there. My company pulled off all the lic plate lights because I guess they got a ticket once for the bulb being burnt out so you couldn't see the plate that wasn't there. Good ol' DOT!

JoeF2002 Thanks this.
  5. VolvoTerry

VolvoTerry Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    Vanity plates on the back will pose no problem. When it comes to your plates the only thing that will bring grief down on you will be if you put one of those vanity plate holders especially if it covers anything at all on your plate.

JoeF2002 Thanks this.
  6. JoeF2002

JoeF2002 Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Saylorsburg, PA
    Appreciate the advice guys. I was hoping I could do something with that space. Just seems odd to be left empty :)

7. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I had a friend who was stopped and issued a citation for speeding and having a license plate frame that obscured the state name. It was the frame that the local Travis Crawford GMC put on all their cars. Covered the top half of Texas. She went to court and when the judge saw the pics of the plate, he said "Are you freaking kidding me? If he can't tell that's a Texas plate then that officer needs to find a new career." Dismissed the ticket.

8. VolvoTerry

VolvoTerry Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    Was it on a pick up or on a semi?? With the current CSA system even if a case is dismissed or settled, you are not guaranteed to not receive points.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.