Differential oil for semi trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Twinturboi6, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    I wonder if the same is true for rears that is true for engines: the syn oils will leak where natty's won't, so you woulnd't use it in an older engine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1999blue

1999blue Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2008
    quartzsite,AZ
    Thanks for the feed back !

I would like to express my thanks to all you people who drive for a living. As I have said, I use my truck to pull a large RV fifth wheel trailer, yet I'm not for hire that still means I must keep the truck to the same operating safe level as you do. Your comments are like a gold mine to me. To the people on this Forum, Thank You!

jacksd3 Thanks this.
  4. serozhah

serozhah Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2013
    can i put 50w synthetic oil that i got for my transmission into my rear differentials? Also, what would happen if I mixed that 50w synthetic oil with a 90w synthetic in the differentials? Thanks

5. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    The best place to buy synthetic gear oil is at a truck dealership, Eaton, 50 in the transmission and 75-90 in the diffs. Be sure you clean the vents. using a different oil than what the manufacturer recommends changes the flow caracteristics, and may cause parts to receive less oil than needed. Using an oil additive that thickens the oil is just straight stupid, using it is the only time I ever saw the eaton warrenty rep disallow warrenty coverage.
    Just a thought!

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  6. serozhah

Sep 8, 2013
    how do i know what oil is recommended for my rear differentials on my 2000 freightliner century?? well, i just topped off my rear differential with my 50w gear oil. crossing my fingers. not sure what weight oil was in differential but it's level was way low.

7. serozhah

Sep 8, 2013
    well, transmission 50w has lasted fine so far (50k+ miles) in the differentials but I think im gonna order the recommended 75w from amsoil for the differentials, finally:)
    to be honest, I really wanna figure out and start mixing my own oil using used engine oil and EP additives and such for the hubs, tranny and differentials. I have faith that it's possible :)

8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Regarding synthetics vs conventional lubes in trans and diffs, synthetics must offer some advantage if the component OEM's will extend their base warranty from 500,000 miles to 750,000 miles if synthetics are used. This truck and my last came with synthetics in the drive train and still get them when it comes time to change. 75w90 in diffs. 50w in trans.

9. serozhah

Sep 8, 2013
    what do you think about using say 5w30 motor oil instead of 15w40. any thoughts? 5w30 seems to cause higher engine wear but better fuel economy...

or 5w40 for that matter... amsoil seems to promote the 5w40 as the best for semis...

10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    The 5-30 myth has been tested and shown to be no higher wear than 15-40. In fact, it had less wear during warmup and cold weather operation.
    Anyhow, that's a poor comparison for conventional oil in transmissions and diffs....synthetics are proven superior time and time again.

11. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I have used mystic syn blend in trans 50 wt & mystic 85/140 regular gear oil in both rears.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.