Dilemma

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Sparky147, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Sparky147

Sparky147 Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2016
    ok will keep this as short as possible, but here is where i am at in my career and where i want to go and unfortunately i have limited resources to get info from. so here i am going to swim with the sharks to get my questions answered. lol

i have been driving for a little over a year now. have done 6 months with a flatbed company over the road paid percentage of the trucks income. left that due to family issues at that time. took a local gig with a LTL company as a city p&d driver paid hourly and mostly do trailer swaps. easy money but really have gotten bored with it as it was cool getting to run around southern ohio at first but really find myself bored and feel unfulfilled.
    i have always wanted to drive trucks since i was a kid. put my self as close to the industry by taking diesel technology my last two years of high school and worked in the field for a year or two before the economy took a #### then went into the military. off subject my bad.

anyhow i want to own my own truck and run under my own authority. thats the end plan but right now i am company driver with not very much money saved up. and before its said again i know the saved money plays a big roll in getting to that end game. but to those that are doing what i want to get to what is the best avenue to go. been looking at the lease to own but they seem to good to be true. and my gut instinct says would be better to buy my own truck then lease on. now buying the truck is a few steps down the line from where i am at currently but where and what should i do as my next step?

i know the more specialized in category i am in the better my revenue potential can be i.e. flat bed or reefer etc. been looking into possibly getting into refrigerated but kinda at loss and brain has quit working as the over abundance of company looking has sent me into a stir so any help is appreciated as if anyone read all of this haha

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A&R Logistics pays company drivers very well and will give you the opportunity to save more quickly for your own truck someday. Shouldn't have any problem making $62K - $72K per year there.

taxihacker66 Thanks this.
  4. Sparky147

Sparky147 Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2016
    ok have you ran for them before

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No I worked for Tankstar, but my neighbor worked there and made $72K plus home weekends and some through the week at times. I didn't go there because I was in the financial position where I could comfortably retire soon and didn't want to change companies because of that.

6. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Your goal is to be independent.

You're right- majority of lease to purchase are bad.

Your problem- money.

If I were you my next step would be to start putting money away from every paycheck to be able to reach my goal of being independent. Credit? Keep your credit in a good shape or start building it if it's not in a good shape.

Treat a company truck as if its yours. You want pre trips and care off the truck to be a habit. It's a good habit. Once you have money saved up- buy a truck and truck prices have been falling due to the market, I'm sure you will find a good deal within next 6 months.

After that maybe lease on to a place like mercer or landstar so you can get the practice of booking your own loads and get familiar with expenses that come with being an owner. Also you'll see how the market is going. If you see the market is in great shape-- get your own numbers.

Best thing you can do is not rush because it can ruin you financially.

Lone Ranger 13 and taxihacker66 Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Get as aggressive as you can with your saving. If you have to switch jobs to increase your income to save more then I would do it. You're working towards a goal and increasing your income to save more is a step towards your goal. If you buy your own truck and lease it on with a company you would have instant cash flow without the expense of buying your own trailer right off the bat.

Lone Ranger 13 Thanks this.
  8. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I agree with these other guys. Save a bunch of money. Right now does not seem to be the best time to go independent due to slow freight /depressed rates. If you get your finances now, you be in a good position to take advantage of an improving freight environment in a year or two.

9. Joker_wss

Joker_wss Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I ran a and r. Theyre a good company. Given their pay scales the best thing you do is run short hauls hard. My trainer was from michigan stayed all week at the terminal in joliet and ran 3-4 chicagos a day. Before his trainer cur he was grossing 3k plus. I woulda stuck it out but got hurt and was released after work comp was over

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.