DISC BRAKE TRAILER RETROFIT ??

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by areelius, Feb 6, 2016.

1. areelius

areelius Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    Can anyone comment on what would be needed to convert both axles to disc brakes?
    Would it be easier to just switch out the whole axle or just brakes?
    It costs a lot to do on the tractor, so I am considering just the trailer.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    You'll need other axles for sure. A caliper wouldn't fit on a bracket where a brakechamber usually sits. Hubs will be different.
    Brake valves should be the same. You might need different hoses.
    I never did some research. But that's what comes to mind.
    Switching the entire bogies might be the easiest way.

areelius Thanks this.
  4. areelius

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    Good info, thanks

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    About 15 months ago when shopping for a new trailer it was a $2,500 upgrade option over drums. So to spec is relatively cheap, worth it, and will get your money back in reduced maintenence costs. But I'm betting to convert existing drums you will find it cost prohibitive just like with the tractor.

areelius Thanks this.
  6. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    What is the advantage of discs other than better stopping powers?

What is the cost for parts alone to convert a tractor?

7. areelius

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    You're probably right. I really think having at least some disc brakes on my rig is worth a certain amount to me. I didn't know it was only $2500 to add them to a new trailer. That would be reason enough for me to buy a new one right there. I was on the fence about used or new this time. On Youtube there is a live demonstration of side by side trucks with all possible brake configurations panic stopping. Once I saw that, it was clear that having any discs make a sizable difference in panic stops. Just having discs on the steer axle actually made a truck stop much shorter, and those are the smallest of the brakes on a tractor-trailer. Even the new wide drums cannot compare to discs on this test.

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    My understanding was that current disc brakes do not in fact decrease stopping distance better than drums. The benefit on a trailer was the fact that the only grease fittings on a disc brake equipped unit were to lubricate the landing gear. And pads last a lot longer than shoes plus are cheaper and quicker to replace.

9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    brakefade.

10. areelius

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    I don't know the cost, but it is high to convert a tractor.
    One big advantage is that scale inspectors don't have much to find wrong and just about skip past them when inspecting. No free-play, cracked drums, or uneven wear. Most of the time wasted on inspections is helping the officer do a free-play assessment on all air chambers. With discs there is no free play to look at.
    For me its about safety too. I need to be able to keep from running over all the 4 wheelers who pull in front of us and then hit their brakes. Its a great feeling when you need discs in a panic.

11. areelius

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    That was my understanding too until I saw the live tests done on youtube. A tractor-trailer with all discs stopped something like 112 ft shorter than one with standard drums from 60 MPH. I don't believe the test results I read in the magazines after seeing it with my own eyes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.