Disgruntled employee shoots up knight transportation in katy tx

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by drvrtech77, May 4, 2016.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Better than this:

Screenshot_2016-05-04-20-15-56-1.jpg

rachi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OK MANX, since no one else who is more current with their operation today, than I am, I will try to give it a shot here. Keep in mind that I quit Knight on 2004, and actually on quite good terms.
    As to their payroll, I got every cent coming to me, but only because my wife and I kept track of every penny earned. I do not believe there was a week that went by, when they did not "forget" things like p/u and drop pay, and pay for local work.
    Now I am a stickler on paperwork. I turned in everything in the trip envelopes. All paper work was included in every trip pack. I also kept copies of EVERYTHING I turned in, with a notation as to date, time, and location that the envelopes were dropped.
    Interesting you should mention this, since my wife is, or at least was, an accountant. She was on the phone with payroll in Phoenix, every week. They were always very polite and professional with her, as they lied to her, telling her they had not received all the necessary paperwork. Blatent lying.
    And since the vast majority of drivers do NOT follow their paperwork, I'd bet that they never caught up on those "mistakes" thus saving the company literally millions of dollars over time.

4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Some media called them a trucking company and a couple called them sales and leasing...

I think they sell their older trucks and they do lease trucks so I'm sure they have ads up in some places as a a Truck sales company

5. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Because Knight doesn't OWN any trucks, QuadK leasing, leases the trucks to Knight, and then Knight Truck and Trailer sales sells them.

Knight plays three card Monty really well.

6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Because the news media quickly did a Google search and for Knight transportation and Katy that's what it pulls up... And it also says truck and trailer sales on their wall next to their name as well so that could be the reason

bigjoel Thanks this.
  7. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    i cant be too wise to be doing what im doing for the pay im doing it for, but hey i gave it a try, on to plan b an c i guess. i just find it amazing what people find acceptable out here, but then again im sure someone wonders why i even find trucking acceptable, they would have a good point.

8. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    "when we put justness on par with profits, we get the most wonderfull thing in all the world, we get our humanity back"

9. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

I know what 'going postal' is all about!

Many years ago I got a job as 'Part-time/Flexible' with the USPS, covering carriers on their days off/vacation, and had a dictator supervisor who was ex-Navy and hated ex-USAF which I happened to be. Made my life miserable for several months and it peaked on one day I came in sick with fever--was willing to drive a 'mounted' route (curbside mailboxes) but he put me on a notorious 'park & carry', an all walking route carrying mail in a bag and with arm loads of pkgs. When I refused, he threatened me, and I contemplated punching him out but being sick would only have enuf energy for one punch. Took off my badge, threw it at him, told him where he could stick it, and quit. A couple of mos later I went to CDL school---dont know whether to thank him or curse him for getting me into the trucking industry.;):)

It used to be that most DM's (Driver Manager) in the trucking industry were former drivers, but was quickly figured out that it was but a title only and a pretty much thankless job!

Now former drivers know what it's like to sit in truckstops waiting for loads, not getting home for planned off times, etc. but the 22 yo college grad DM does not!

And so drivers stew, boil, have a lot of time to think about and get pissed off which DM's dont realize as after work they go home and enjoy their friends, family, & A/C!!:cool:

The best advice I can offer other drivers is dont let it get to you or affect your sanity! Dont take bad loads, sitting waiting on loads, etc. 'personally.' It's all part of the industry. The best way to 'win' is do what I did with Knight---put in my 5 yrs, drove just enuf to enjoy 3-day home time every 10-14 days to make it to retirement, and quit 'gracefully, where they come back for several years asking me back!' That's winning!!

GoneButNotForgotten and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  10. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    $10,000 dollars raised on the gofundme account since yesterday! 5K until Knight put the word out on their FB at which time its doubled in a matter of hours.

Says a lot about the kind of person he was. He did his best to make sure his drivers were taken care of before Knight skimmed their cut. I'm glad to see those who knew him are now returning the favor and helping to take care of his family during this terrible ordeal.

Big Don and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  11. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    PTF nowadays are rare, just about every position starts off as a PSE. It's ridiculous how the federal government get's away with abusing labor laws, as far as PSE's are concerned . But then again, they exempt themselves from DOT rules as well. And yeah, I know what you mean by having ex-military supervisors and coworkers. I have the upmost RESPECT for anybody who served in the military, since USPS is the largest employer of military vets, and they're pretty much untouchable.

I think having as many miltary vets as we do, with the training that they have, a lot of the mass Postal killings that happened between 1986-1993 were by ex military Vietnam vets, from what I read. Back then, they didn't really have any understanding of what PTSD was, and not understanding the effects of what war can do to a human being, mentally. Over in Jersey, where a lot of the Postal killings happened, we still talk a lot about some of the things that happened back then, and how the term "Going Postal" started.

I personally don't think building bullet proof barriers is gonna solve anything. If anything, it's probally gonna make things worse, because it's only gonna exasperate the US vs THEM attitude.

OverDrive Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.