Distributing weight properly

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by babycody, Nov 1, 2008.

1. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California

YuP!

The amount of weight transferred per hole is only a general rule.
    HOW the load in the trailer is distributed is what determines how
    much weight transfers per hole.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Raider Nation, NorCal

The diagram should keep you straight for your end for the most part without really having to worry about the 40'-43' rule (many states have no rule). I think some of the drivers already answered some of these very well. My rule of thumb on trailer tandems is about 300lbs per hole and the 5th wheel 500lbs per double hole. Like some already said too though it is dependent on how much weight is sitting above each hole. Then it is also dependent on the empty space at the back of the trailer as well in how far the driver can slide the rear tandems.

helpful reads:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Ia...DwqbSe8Jd7Z64w&oi=book_result&ct=result&hl=en

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publications/brdg_frm_wghts/index.htm

I think I'll just scan some of my other diagrams in and post them in my photos or something too. I'll try to get around to it this weekend. There's got to be some more diagrams that are specific to loading different trailers too I just can't find them readily on-line here.

I'd definitely leave the tandem sliding #### to the drivers and not worry about that though. Most of the time the yard goats nail them in the right spot and pretty darn dead on too if they get to the loaded trailer first (usually for our drop/hooks not the live loads though). Plus, with the fuel weight against anything above about a 40,000lbs load it really does need to be scaled after loading to determine if some of the freight needs to be taken off. I wouldn't worry about your boss biting your head off about it though since there are so many variables the fault can't really be placed on you or the driver (even if it is easier to chew one either you or me out than see reason lol).

babycody Thanks this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    There is a program called Truck Load Balance that does what you've asked about. However it needs to be set up with wheelbases and a few other measurements to be totally accurate. It used to be a freebie (doesn't do carhaulers so I don't use it anymore. Although I did make a spreadsheet for a Pete with a 9189 Boydtsun that did the same thing. ) and you could download it and play to see what different combinations do to axle weights.

You're on the right track with you're thinking; it's hard to go wrong with back half of load 2K heavier than the front. And after the nose single, put the singles in the center of the load, trucks ride better with the weight spread as far to the ends as possible. (Think inertia, a short bar is less stable than a long bar of equal weight. Less hobby-horse across the bumps, plus less flex in trailer)

2 singles: rows 1 & 6

3 singles: rows 1,5 & 7

4 singles: rows 1,4,6 & 8

And so on...

And if you have to fill a 53' trailer, remember that pallets behind the axle add more than their own weight to the tandem. Never a single in the nose of 53 with more than 22 pallets! You have load it what would seem to be heavy in the nose, but the back row (behind the tandem) will pull the weight to the back.

Also, always avoid singling the last pallet, unless it's wrapped tight, it'll be everywhere at destination.

And one last thing, always use 7 pounds per gallon for your fuel weight calculations. Unlike gasoline, the density of diesel varies significantly depending on which refinery produced it. It can range from 6.6 to as much as 7.1 and still be considered diesel. You don't want to use the lower number and get burned at the scale! (And I have some 80000 exact scale tickets, too! Weigh, calculate, fuel, re-weigh, 80K on the dot!) :)

babycody Thanks this.
  5. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    My rule of thumb for the tandems is 250 pounds per hole.. 500 on the 5th wheel (though I've never had to move it.) So far, that's not steered me wrong.

babycody Thanks this.
  6. grandpawspeedy

grandpawspeedy Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Philadelphia,pa
    This aint rocket science ,but it sure in h#####aint easy!!

7. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    80,000 gross

1,700 miles to go.

Wish me luck. :biggrin_2552:

Oh yeah, it was:

Then I added 85 gal. fuel and slid the trailer tandems back one hole. The fifth wheel is all the way forward.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
    RBPC Thanks this.
  8. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Raider Nation, NorCal

Next time, try tossing your spare, load locks, snow chains and/or anything heavy (i.e. tool box) strapped near the drives to the passenger seat and shift that trailer back a hole again. It's scary how well that can work when maxed out with the 5th all the way forward.

9. lostNfound

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Probably not bad advice, although in my case it really wasn't necessary. Given the very small amount I was over, I was waiting to see if anyone had any comment regarding any overweight allowance at scales ... most do, some don't.

My route was north on I-15 from CA to Canada. I didn't have to cross any scales in CA so there were no issues there. As soon as I crossed into NV I slid the tailer tandems back one hole (moving about 400 lbs to the drives) and carried on. Utah and Idaho recognize the FMCSA request for a 400 lb. APU allowance (I was 34,400 across the Utah Port of Entry at St. George :biggrin_25523:). Montana doesn't recognize this, but they have a very generous overage allowance at the scale. So long as I ran under 1/3 in my tanks I was okay. Of course, once in Canada I was good for 38,000.

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Try sliding the seat forward................:biggrin_25523:

11. lostNfound

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    :biggrin_2552:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.