DMV and Dr. Prescribed opiate issues

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tex Pantego, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Tex Pantego

Tex Pantego Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Long story short, I'm trying to decide applying for driving school now or waiting a few months.

The reasons I'm considering waiting a few months.

(1) My 3 year DMV record will be clean as of 10/13/16 and the application asks about the DMV record for the last 3 years specifically. (It was a non-injury accident)

(2) I took some prescribed Tylenol-3(with Codeine) for a dental procedure a month ago, and I'm pretty sure that is going to show as an opiate on a hair test, which is what the school I want to go to takes. (I can get a Doctor's note, but still, I don't like the idea of lingering suspicion that I've got drug issues.)

(3) I'll be under the 35 BMI weight marker. (I'm over 35 now but losing weight fast)

Still have my current job so finances aren't an issue; its just a matter of do I go now and have those 3 red flags, or keep my old job another two months and apply without those red flags.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Looks like you already know what to do

tucker Thanks this.
  4. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    as long as you have proof of the prescription, you should be fine. be sure to take the medicine bottle with you for the drug test, they will mark it on the sheet.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You mean the cdl school does a hair follicle test?

6. Tex Pantego

Tex Pantego Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Oh, I also have jury duty scheduled in late September, and I've already pushed it back once, and according to the county website, I can't push it back another time, and my circumstances don't qualify for an exemption.

I guess what I'm really asking is, are these 3 red flags potentially significant enough that it makes me a lot less desirable as a future employee? I'd hate to think my only options are the absolute worst bottom feeders simply because I didn't wait a little to clear up those issues and have a pristine application.

You're right. Not the school, but the job I'm hoping for after the school does do hair. If I went to school soon, I might still have it in my hair during the orientation drug test. My understanding is, I can piss clean now, but It takes about 3 months to lose the body hairs that show opiates after you take them. I know that they want either long head hair or arm pit hair and it'll be arm pits for me.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Keep the job you now have and get in shape with the weight loss. You can get a job now right at graduation, but it won't be the one you want. Some companies will take the cdl school physical and only do a pee test.
    If you're doing ok now, financially, then just wait so you don't have to deal with the red flags.

4wayflashers and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  8. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Make sure you keep a record of that prescription if your planning on a hair follicle test anytime in the near future. And I would think they will ask about medications. Don't take any chances tell them you had a dental procedure and was given painkillers and show them the prescription,

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Those are probably called Loritabs. Very addicting to many people. You will not find too many doctors handing that stuff out. I just had a oral surgeon butcher me a few weeks ago and just finished a two week haze of demerol Pills. Mempherine I think they are called.

Anyhow.

Hair testing to 90 days after Opiate and you will be positive. Hang in there and show the billing from your oral surgeon procedure and medicines prescribed to you for a limited time back then. PROVE to your Company people that yes, you did take some medicine and NO you are not taking anymore.

Im in Pain Management for the remainder of my natural life however short or long it is. I turned in my CDL partly for that reason a couple years ago even though Im grandfathered fully with full priveleges for heavy vehciles. I choose not to have that in my pocket knowing there is enough inside of me to create a DUI if Im stupid enough to try to drive on bad days.

I save my driving for the end of month when Im dry and clean after the 5th day withdrawing and about 10 days grace time before the new month refill. So I can still live independantly and be stone sober when I do drive. But my hair will be dirty for years to come.

When I drove from the 80's on to after 9-11 and ultimately after 2009 as a crew boss of truckers, I made sure I never got opiates and told all DOCTORS no narcotics. Ive been carted to the ER in pain and those doctors used some amazing yellow liquid injections which I think was liquid ALeve in massive doses to make sure I can fight the pain and something else for the tummy so I don't puke it from the pain. I was one of the few people who thrived on pain. As long I did not pass out from it Im good to go. But not on something that's possibly broke from slipping under that pallet jack on water no one cleaned up in the warehouse. Shame.

Fast forward to today. Opiates is being treated by our Government as a very BAD thing due to the abuse potential and People discover that they can take illegal herion (Which is in the same family of Medicines for pain... ) much cheaper and faster than trying to fight doctors who refuse to prescribe anything now for fear of DEA. I know that Arkansas tracks every single Pill I take home and they ALSO track any ER visits I do go due to pain or something else as a combative proactive against abuse.

If you have a procedure and a surgeon gives you some pain meds. Go HOME and stay in bed until that med is gone in a week. THEN WAIT one to two more weeks to clear out of your blood and urine. You should then be safe to go. MOST people prescribed for a week of pain do not get addicted. It's when they take opiates beyond a week to a month or more every day and night, the body and brain begins to build pathways to dependancey that will eventually cause them to be unemployed, prisoned, dead or desitute in about a year.

10. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    The SCHOOL is asking about your driving record? Why?

Nobodys gonna care about taking prescribed meds prior to your driving job.

Any job app is going to ask for a lot more than 3 years so it really doesn't matter. The feds want 10yrs. sometimes theres loopholes but not often and they will pull your driving record. There's a couple oddball states like mine that will only give an employer 7yrs and they can't ask for the "personal" driving record. What you tell them past that............

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.