Do I get paid for going to swift academy?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bluejet, Jun 30, 2015.

1. bluejet

bluejet Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Does swift pay you for attending the driving academy to obtain the CDL?

I'm not talking about being paid while on the road with a mentor. When they accept you and you get on the bus and start learning for the weeks you are there, do they pay you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Nope. In fact it's the other way around. You pay them.

unloader

4. iloveatrucker

iloveatrucker Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2015
    You don't pay them at school. They don't provide anything and add the cost of the room into the loan. You do not start repayment until the mentor period is over.

5. DeGuzzie

DeGuzzie Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Benson, Vermont
    Hi BlueJet.

You do not get paid during the training period. In fact I found out (I am on day 4 of training sponsored by Swift) that you aren't hired by Swift during the training. Swift teamed up with TDA (Truck Driver Academy) that runs the training at various locations around the country. I know there is one in Georgia somewhere and Salt Lake City Utah (at their terminal) and there are more locations but I don't know where those are. Anyway, once you finish the training then you are off to Swift orientation which lasts a day or two before you are sent off with your mentor over the road.

The only money you'll need while you're out here or where ever the training will take place is money for food. Swift fronts the money for the hotel and the training, but definitely don't expect any pay of any kind during the training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.