Do you need a headboard on a flatbed??

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by ducatijay, Jun 11, 2011.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Some freight that we haul requires a headboard on the trailer. Occasionally, I will lose a load due to having a headboard. I prefer the headboard due to sometimes switching trailers. I keep the same chains and binders with the same trailer. In my case, I have gotten more loads using a headboard than I have lost. I know others who seem to do better not having a headboard. It just depends on what you plan on hauling. You will never have the right set up all the time.

bigbyrc Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigbyrc

bigbyrc Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    You should have a headboard or a headache rack (OR MAKE A TEMP ONE) just in case of a fast stop or swerve from a 4 wheeler, etc while traveling and you have to do emergency tactics!!!
    Steel, Iron, Wood, etc will move forward with a jerk from having to stop quickly or even controlled braking, a makeshift wooden headboard/ bulkhead will only help a bit with thousands of pounds of steel, iron, etc coming at it, it is physics guys! You are 80K lbs traveling at 60+, a random fast stop in motion cause of a 4 wheeler will move cargo...
    Example; lets say you have steel rods and they have oil to prevent rust, one jolt of the brakes and some of those rods will move forward, ESPECIALLY THE RODS IN THE MIDDLE!!! FLAT IRON, COILS, YOU NAME IT, IT WILL ALL MOVE!!!
    This is why you check your load often!!!
    Hell sometimes I am OCD about it!!! lol ha ha ha
    Load and life DELIVERED UNHARMED AND YOU GETTING $$$$ AND GOING HOME TO MOMMA, CHILDREN, HELL THE DOG OR CAT IS THE GOAL!!!
    PEACE AND BLESSINGS BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!

4. ford06

ford06 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2017
    really like them rollin transport trucks but how do they get away with running no red and white reflector tape on there trailers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.