Do you offer health insurance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by tallmon, May 21, 2015.

1. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Do you offer your drivers a health insurance plan?
    If so, how much of the premium do you cover for the driver? How about the premium for family members?

I don't offer it now because all of my drivers get it from their spouses but a couple of new drivers do not have it.

thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. q in sac

q in sac Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Depending on where you live, many states have state sponsored health exchanges. Contact your county Department of Social Services. Then your employees pick and choose their own health coverage. Healthcare.gov is a great resource.

4. tallmon

Oct 22, 2014
    I know about the health exchanges and where to get health insurance from. My question is how much of the premium does the company pay and how much is the employee contribution.

5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Cover 100%, employee or family.

bigdogpile Thanks this.
  6. Marlin46

Marlin46 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    For it to be a true company plan the minimum contribution a company can make is 50%, if you want to cover more of it for your drivers then that is ok too. Very few companies cover additional family members.

Out of the companies I worked for one took out about $40 / week for insurance, the other, maybe $45 / week. They were both BCBS and really good policies in terms of benefits, deductibles but I know there are many options that exist today.

tallmon Thanks this.
  7. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    I don't believe in company paid benefits. As an employer, I prefer to give the premiums to the driver in the form of higher wages and let the driver use that money as he/she wishes. As an employee, I also prefer that the company give me the cost of benefits and let me manage it myself.

cmbks21 and Pedigreed Bulldog Thank this.
  8. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    As an employee I wouldn't work for an employer who didn't pay 100 % prem.and a zero deductable plan for me and my family...As an employer YOU get the tax break for what YOU pay for employee insurance,employees do not ..

9. tallmon

Oct 22, 2014
    I didn't think any company in any industry did that anymore!

10. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If YOU want it, YOU buy it. If your employer is buying your policy, he's buying the policy that works best FOR HIM, which may leave you lacking coverages specific to your own personal situation. ONLY YOU know what you need, and what various "extras" are worth to YOU, and what "exclusions" are tolerable in order to save money on premiums. YOU know what your budget is, and what deductible vs. premium meets your budget. Your employer may up the deductible and allow certain exclusions to reduce premiums he's paying...and if that leaves you uncovered when you need it, what good did it do you to have it? Pay for it yourself, and buy what you need for your own situation and your own lifestyle. That's how it SHOULD have been all along.

Licensed to kill Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.