Do you think keeping left except to merge or exit would be safer than keeping right except to pass?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by camionneur, Jul 4, 2015.

1. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Why dont you have power steering?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I do, but since I change lanes at a distance, unlike those who act as if they can't manage it, due to steering difficulties, I thought reminding them of that would get their heads around thinking ahead. In other words, it's easy, yet they seem to find this difficult.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  4. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm not a fan, as a 4 wheeler, of being stuck behind that guy (potentially) in the left lane that is going 35 mph and then coming to a complete stop because they just realized that their exit is upon them.

5. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    4 wheelers are always going out of their way to hop lanes only to get in front of a truck before an exit, so I think it's (potentially) worse already.

6. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm sure, but I'm thinking as dumb as it is when a car moves 3 lanes to the exit it's going to be significantly more dangerous and take a considerable amount more time for a semi to do it.

7. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    I wasn't saying it should be stay all the way left until the last second to exit, it's like anything with trucks, they tend to maneuver into position ahead of time, and I also mentioned that perhaps only truckers should be staying right, if that's absolutely necessary, as they are supposed to be trained to understand how drive around other trucks. Other vehicles shouldn't be able to monopolize the right lane, when trucks are expected to keep right moreso than them. People are using it as their fast lane as much as the left lane, as it is (or slowing trucks down and forcing them left, or attempting to with no real force to back that up).

8. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm just pointing out the obvious. It's just like that guy that rides the lane that's closing all the way to the end and then merges. The same thing will happen with people moving from left to right. We can all opine about how people tend to move to the correct lane, but experience tells us that's not going to happen.

truckon Thanks this.
  9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    When on a six lane Highway or Interstate I usually stay in the middle lane. The truck I have now is fast enough to flow with traffic doing the limit on most roads as I can cruise at 69 but unless going up a grade I can hit 71 with no problems from fleet manager. I despise the states and road that has stay left except to pass for 4 wheelers and everyone.

10. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    People are already all over the place, they go from leftmost carpool lanes to exits. The problems I see occuring between cars and trucks are in the right lane. Trucks move left, as if it were temporary, to allow cars or trucks to merge safely, then it's open season on the space they left, right? No, it's just wrong. Or I can slow down instead, and it's open season on the space in front of me, until I'm going dangerously slow. Actually can't drive safely, but that's the best I can do.

11. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    And I've confirmed that by looking it up. Legally, this is why it's screwed up for trucks (and those behind them), the law that says everyone has to keep right except to pass, causes me to break the law that says not to impede normal and reasonable movement of traffic by slowing down, in order to comply with the law that says I have to maintain a minimum following distance of 500 feet, because the first law causes all of them to pull directly in front of my vehicle. I'm not actually breaking the provision of the law that says you can go slow if necessary for safe operation, but you'd think the point of one law would not be to cause my breaking another, in essence. The more vehicles that are expected to pull in front of me, the more I have to impede the reasonable movement of other vehicles, as if I weren't expected to do that.

If all of these laws are well thought out, then I don't think there are enough laws for other vehicles driving safely around trucks that are following the law, because it isn't all that safe for a relatively fast moving vehicle to hit a relatively slow moving and much heavier one, more likely fatal than if they were required to maintain a safe distance themselves, in front or behind others, while passing constantly, which is being perpetuated by my laws slowing me down. And that would allow me to travel at a relatively safer speed, as expected. Only, it isn't safer to have a line of tailgating traffic in front of me when it can come to a stop much faster than my vehicle. So I am legally obligated to drive unsafely in one way or another. :evil3:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.