Dodge and 3-4 car trailer NY-CA

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by trucko, Aug 30, 2015.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I am new to car hauling world so may be I am asking well discussed question but what if you get Dodge that has 5th wheel and strong enough engine to haul 3-4 cars. And what if you will be running not local but coast to coast hauling? The fact that you have just 3-4 cars you will be delivering and picking up much quicker than 8-9 cars, instead of two round trips a month you can make 3 round trips or even 2 1/2 trips a month with this vehicle.

anybody tried this? only thing I am worried is how dodge can survive such long haul and long miles. It only makes sense if dodge can easily run 500 000 miles in 5 years without major break downs and technical issues.
    also one more advantage of this is that you can haul cars from the places where 8 car hauler vehicles cannot access, in such cases car hauling prices often goes to 1500 per car.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Find an old 12 valve, it'll do it no problem

browndawg Thanks this.
  4. trucko

Aug 3, 2015
    please without dark sarcasm

5. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    That's not sarcasm, that's realism. You want to pay a service tech $100-150 to pull your ecm codes, or fix your own problems.

6. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Yep, spend $50,000 for a dually that if you run coast to coast, will be worn out in 3-4 years, when you can buy a nice single axle for 1/2 the price that will last twice as long.

If the dually thing was so great, why wouldn't everyone be doing it?

browndawg and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  7. trucko

Aug 3, 2015
    so what is the best vehicle for this purpose. I can fix certain things in cars but I am not good in understanding vehicle features

8. SHO-TYME

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Go look through the "Car Hauler" Forum, this has been discussed there.

If you're not good at understanding vehicle features, than why are you so sure the Dodge 3500 will be good for running coast to coast?

lots of character Thanks this.
  9. trucko

Aug 3, 2015
    I am not sure I am just asking and would appreciate if you have expert opinion that contradicts my assumption about 3500. I have seen lot of 3500 on the roads and that;s why I assumed those were the best

10. SHO-TYME

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    NO, that's what most think, they go buy a $50,000 dually and 3 car wedge and think they're going to set the world on fire. Sadly, most don't make it a year or two.

You can buy a class 8 single or tandem axle,for less than half the price and it has more brakes, better drivetrain, last longer and you have a sleeper so you don't have to sleep in the backseat curled up or spend money on hotels.

11. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Coast to coast cars dont pay enough for a wedge. You need to be making a minimum of 2.00 pm on ALL miles for a wedge to work. So your looking at cars paying 0.75 pm each to make it work.
    Sweet spot for a wedge is 300-1000 mile runs.

Terry270 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.