Does Accident NOT your fault count against you?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HeartHooves, Feb 15, 2013.

1. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Those are vehicle code violations regarding accidents, not the accident codes they use on the accident only section on the MVR. The codes are numbers 1-5, not reference numbers to the vehicle code as shown above.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    It should'nt affest your chances.Just tell the recruiter what happened.Trucking applications want to know about all accidents no matter who's at fault.I had an accident on my report.This lady was on the cell not paying abit attention and very windy that day.She totaled her bronco.I have to put that accident on apps and never was disqualified from a job because of that.

mje Thanks this.
  4. HeartHooves

HeartHooves Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2013
    NJ
    Thanks for all the replies. :biggrin_25514: I was really worried that I was totally screwed.

5. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    While the accident would show on the DMV, it would only show on the CSA if there was a fatality, severly damaged vehicle, or injury. ( Hearse,nurse, or tow)

6. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Your first accident is going to hinder you but the one you weren't at fault for won't. Its called a non-preventable. Either way this may work to your advantage because you will find it harder to get hired on with the mega-carriers. This will force you to search for a smaller company which in turn will be a much better outcome. Your chances of success are substantially higher with the smaller companies. Most newbies don't listen and often fall for the tricky, witty banter of the school and mega-carrier recruiters. So now even if you are brainwashed you will still be forced to look into the smaller companies. :biggrin_25525:

Really, try to avoid the top 5 (Swift, Werner, England etc..) and your career will be much more successful. Also, don't get in any more accidents. You are about to be a professional driver now and you must pay attention and take your driving as a career and not just for getting around purposes. Your license will be your "bread and butter" so protect it as best you can!

7. sedain

sedain Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2010
    it probably differs from state to state, thats a given.. but in michigan i know that it will show on your driving record and it WILL count against you in any sort of job search unless the company youre applying to is open minded and actually cares to look at supporting documents etc etc.. it wont hurt you with your current company most likely because they will investigate what happend including looking at any police report... i suppose not at fault COULD hurt your standing with a current employer, but there would have to be a pattern of some sort.

8. HeartHooves

Jan 9, 2013
    NJ
    I was driving with my class B at the time of that first accident and with the company vehicle. Had only been driving for 2 months (there was some sun glare involved). BELIEVE me! I am SUPER careful now. Have not had an issue (that was my fault) since. Been with the same employer the whole time and expect they'll give me a decent reference.

What small companies in my neck of the woods would you suggest? I've been going through the list of companies on this website that are supposed to be willing to hire student drivers. Trying to compile a data sheet for each one in order to prepare to call to see if they would even consider me. If I can't find any companies (would like to have multiple lined up) that would be willing to give me a shot in July, then I won't put the money out for school in June.

Wanted to add, CRST and England are at the very bottom of my list, the others you mentioned are not far from the bottom.:biggrin_25525:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  9. HeartHooves

Jan 9, 2013
    NJ
    No, it's not a problem with the company I am working for. They know the WHOLE story, even talked to the guy who hit me. It was NOT my fault, I did NOTHING to contribute to the second accident.

10. Viking57

Viking57 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2013
    On your CA H6 printout under "Accidents" you will usually find 3 codes which are as follows....
    ACC Code ( Type of Accident Code )
    1 - Ran off road
    2 - Vehicle vs Fixed object
    3 - Vehicle vs pedestrian
    4 - Vehicle vs animal
    5 - Multiple vehicles
    6 - Vehicle vs bicycle
    7 - Other
    8 - Multiple vehicles and pedestrians

ARC Code (Accident Reporting Code)
    2 - Fault not determined
    3 - Party found most at fault
    4 - Contributed to the cause
    5 - Not at fault
    7 - Driver not responsible after HRG
    8 - Emergency vehicle
    9 - Emergency vehicle - Other party at

Sobriety Codes
    1 - HBD Obviously Drunk .10+
    2 - HBD Ability Impaired .10+
    3 - HBD Ability Not Impaired to .049
    4 - HBD Ability Unkown .05 to .09
    5 - HNBD Had Not Been Drinking
    6 - Parked Car or Hit & Run (driverless)
    7 - Not Reported
    8 - Under Influence of Drugs

DirtyBob Thanks this.
  11. Davezilla

Davezilla Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Im not sure about out of school, but I have three not at fault accidents... hit by drunk driver on trailer, student hit deer, and student got sprayed by an exploding hazmat tanker full of laundry softener...

All of them showed on my DAC, and nobody seemed to care...

I did get 2 points for being hit by the drunk driver, its unfair, but a tire is 8 points... so its not much. The law states that simply being involved in an accident where they person is towed, is 2 points, regardless of fault...

But it ended up not mattering in the slightest.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.