Does any of this seem reasonable? Cost to run a 3500...

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by PowerWagon, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Foxcover

Foxcover Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    No, that's the tare weight of the trailer. I wanted to know what the GVW rating was.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Foxcover

Foxcover Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I bought a 20' Load Max 16k GVWR and love it around the city. However it's time to replace my 2008 F350 srw for a new truck.
    I love the SRW but being as I can see I will probably buy some more different type Hot Shot trailers I'm finding it hard to decide on going the dually route, if I do then should I go for a 350, 450 or 550 in your opinion?

Hope business is good!

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    It all depends on your load weights. If you need heavier than a 3500 I'd go with a Class 7 single axle sleeper or a Freightliner M2. A 5500 will beat you to death and you'll get poor service on the road. Larger trucks don't get hassled half as much at scales.

Foxcover Thanks this.
  5. Silverado-01

Silverado-01 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2013
    DeLand, FL
    FWIW, with 10k on my trailer, I get 12.5 on flat ground driving 55 mph. When I drove through the mountains of TN a few months ago, I got 15.5 mpg pulling 12k. No, that was not a type-o. In my (limited) experience, if you don't use cruise control, keep your foot steady on 55, don't give it any more pedal going up hill, you'll see a dramatic increase in fuel mileage.

We calculate our operating costs based on 8 mpg. I almost always beat that by 1.5 mpg. There have been a couple of times when I got 6.5 and 7.5. I just finished a load from Erwin TN to Duluth MN. Three fuel stops (I have a 34 gal tank), all over 14 mpg driving 55 mpg.

Much Success!
    Bill

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Mileage will be affected by wind speed and direction.

It will be affected by wind drag of the product on the back. If lower than the truck, mileage increases. If no side to get hit by wind, it will get better.

7. Silverado-01

Silverado-01 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2013
    DeLand, FL
    Don't forget air density, altitude, tire pressure... :biggrin_255:

8. Cattletrkr

Cattletrkr Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
    My insurance took a nose-dive this year. Typically It had been ~$2500/yr. This year it's down to $1600. I'm mostly local, within 100 mile radius and only 50K/yr. Agent said ins. company decided to give those of us with only one power unit a break.

Great West Insurance.

9. Commander Transport

Commander Transport Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2013
    I'm new to hotshot service. Building a business plan now. I would appreciate that spreadsheet for costs. Thanks for all you do for others. I will try to do the same. Please email anything else you think I would need for start up. Email: jrathelm77@yahoo.com

10. Otokron

Otokron Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Crawfordville, FL
    I'm considering getting into this as well. What do you guys think about starting with a 3500 Dually and an enclosed 2-car trailer. I was thinking it (the trailer) should help avoid damage claims.

11. Otokron

Otokron Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Crawfordville, FL
    #Silverado-01 Would you please email a copy of that spreadsheet to me as well? I'll greatly appreciate it! Email: otokron@aim.com

Thank you!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.