Does anyone know about rental truck for CDL

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Since I got a lot of slack and called a "fake trucking company" even though I have a legal business pay for my one million dollar insurance policy have my own authority and DOT numbers, and have a current medical card issued, I have made a great success of my one car hauler pulling for united road and carmax transfers I can now afford to upgrade my truck and trailer. I need a CDL for this. I am a past CDL holder but I let it lapse after I was injured and out of work for two years. I can get the permit take the test and all that my question is since I want a Class A license because I am guessing its needed for the new equipment is there any place in North Carolina where I can rent a truck or a company that will provide a truck with a CDL licensed driver to bring to the road test for completion of my CDL? Would greatly appreciate the help and if you can please refrain from negative nonsense about my current truck and trailer set up because after all it is paid for along with my house and everything else I own. Thanks Guys

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I know some 3rd party schools will let you use their truck and they administer the test. Not sure of the prices though.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  4. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Are these in NC ?

5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    You're in Western NC, but I know that CFCC in Wilmington does the testing in house for their students. When I took the course, it cost me around $1K for tuition and books, and the day class is 3 months long. I'm not sure if they'll test you if you don't actually go through the course though.

There's a company in Texas that advertises truck rental for CDL testing. I have no experience with them at all. Use them at your own risk.

http://www.cdltesttruck.com/

Get your CDL in Texas, then transfer it to NC.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I defianetly do not want to go through school I did that in 99 with Smith & Solomon and it sucked takes to long I cant be off the road that long. I just need a truck to take to the exam and thats it. Im thinking maybe calling around to a couple places I read some people tried Ryder Truck and Penske but if it doesnt have air brakes whats the point and you cant rent a CDL truck without a CDL

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I believe that's only a automatic though.

8. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Yes, it is an automatic. Perhaps a manual transmission restriction wouldn't be a problem for the OP.

9. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
  10. Mikesee

Mikesee Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2014
    I asked everyone I knew and found a guy with a CDL A and gave him $50 to ride over in my truck and trailer

11. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Lol I remember you. I believe you were given a hard time because you didn't know that you had to pull into weigh stations with your pickup and 1 car trailer. And because you argued with us that you didn't need a medical card. And because we told you that there's no way you could make money with that 1500 hemi truck and 1 car trailer. But hey if you proved us wrong I'm happy for you. Why don't you share the secret? I know I'd rather run your setup than my high rail every day lol.

I may be missing something but is there a reason that you can't buy your semi then take the test in your own truck? This is what I did

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Bryan_Gee and Pullin2 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.