Does Landstar brokers pressure you if you are going to be late?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by OOwannaBE, Mar 23, 2015.

1. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    I was wondering if you are going to be late which isn't your fault, do the brokers call a lot and pressure asking you when you will arrive? Right now I am at a shipper that has had me here for 12 hours now and this is a broker load and they keep calling me asking if I have been loaded yet even though I keep telling them I will let them know when I am loaded. I was just wondering if Landstar brokers do the same and if they keep asking you to recalculate ETA across the whole country even though you are still waiting to get loaded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    I found that most landstar agents were jerks, many are dishonest , I have had them give loads and while enroute change to destination, there are a few that are real decent but most are the worst agents/dispatchers I ever dealt with, always get anything in writing and especially any changes,if you are going to charge detention always get a new revised confirmation and always have it included in the rate change DO NOT LET THE SEPARATE THE DETENTION PAY FROM THE HAUL RATE MAKE SURE IT IS JUST ONE NUMBER, IF THEY SEPARATE THE DETENTION FROM THE HAUL RATE YOU WILL NEVER GET PAID THE DETENTION.

4. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    Mostly every agent I use just asks for me to let them know when I'm leaving shipper or receiver.We do have some that will ring your phone constantly and bug the crap out of you but I just ignore them after the first call.

If my wait is going to affect my delivery I let them know ahead of time.Show them a little respect and common decency and they usually treat you the same.Most loads usually have more than enough time on them.Don't get loaded and have lots of time to get there and call them 30 minutes before your appt and tell them you're going to be late and you'll be fine.

blairandgretchen and OOwannaBE Thank this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    One question, if they are so bad why did you keep dealing with them?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Tell the broker to do his part and call the shipping department, then hit silent on your phone.

The CHR load through LS I just delivered, the CHR guy called me 30 minutes before my appointment asking if I was loaded. He wanted a call when I was loaded . . . I, . . . was . . . . busy.

7. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Old Man only when the money is right and it is not double brokered (80% is from loads off load boards)

8. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Something you have to remember is that Landstar brokers out a lot of their freight to outside carriers, which is obviously what 315 wheelbase is talking about. However, this is the motor carrier section, not the brokerage section. You would not want to put detention into the linehaul as a BCO, as detention pays at 100% and linehaul doesn't. Every agent is self employed, just like you and run their business like they see fit, just like you. Most like an arrived and departed shipper and arrived and delivered call, text or email. Some customers require a daily check call. When I do get an overzealous one, which is fairly rare on the flatbed side, I set them straight pretty quick. It is typically a brokered load and newbie agent that does this. If an agent is doing something you don't like, call them on it or get customer service involved. I've had rare loads that required status updates every two hours, but they were typically emergency expedited loads. The pay corresponded with the additional service required.

Hwy Apostle Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.