Does Pulling a Refer Really suck that bad?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by crimedoc96, Jul 25, 2016.

1. crimedoc96

crimedoc96 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I always read here how awful it is.

Any pro's to it? Just curious

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    The company I drive for has mostly dry van and some refers... Currently under a refer at the moment... It's not so bad... Our cold hauls seem to drop mostly at night or very early morning... So depending on if you like night driving or not that might have an effect on your thoughts of refer hauls.

Sometimes they might have longer wait times too but other than that, not sure much difference.

I am sure someone here will list 20 additional things wrong with refers... lol

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  4. BigPerm

BigPerm Medium Load Member

No....but grocery warehouses suck more than outlined for the most part.

5. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I don't think it's bad unless people think it's really that much of a hassle at the fuel stop lol.

I did it for a while through a company contracting with MCT. One thing I actually liked was that most of my trips were Drop & Hooks in KRAFT.

I suppose the Reefer is one more thing that can break down on you, so a responsible driver should keep an eye on the indicator lights that you can see in the driver side mirror. I did have one break down on me that I kept alive by jump starting it off my truck batteries and I probably saved a ton of Sara Lee food.

NavigatorWife and Dominick253 Thank this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Reefer you do alot of night driving.Many customers are grocery warehouses with like midnight appts.You could be sitting in the dock for hrs.Everythough you feel the trailer shake don't for a second think good it won't be long before they're done.They'll take a pallet or two off spend an hr counting the product then take another pallet off ect ect.Some of the places are tight backing and not easy especially at night.At least this is all what I've went thru pulling reefer.It pays like a few cents more per mile but I hated it.Others may have different stories.The reefer unit itself I never had any problems it pretty much works for itself.

7. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    I myself love haulin reefer. Sure There's down sides to it, just like anything else. I know what my rates are, and I read what some of the other fellers are sayin is a good load and I think dang I'm glad I don't work for Schneider. Now that I think about it tho...I don't think I'd like runnin reefer as a company driver. Drop n hook dry van stuff is WAY easier.

8. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    I will put it this way .... It would take no less than 65cpm as a company driver for me to put up with the hassle involved with reefer.

9. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    I do local dedicated account around Chicago. Not bad. Before this I did ready-mix and crane flatbeds. The job is easy as could be. Just a lot of long waits for S&R. If I got paid by the mile I don't think I'd like it so much though.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. BlackKnight 918

BlackKnight 918 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2016
    I love reefer wouldn't pull anything else we usually haul alot of mclane food We're a very small company the noise doesn't bother me at all but it has its ups & downs some cold storage places we pick up from usually takes bout a out a hour or two not bad really quick sometimes

11. Jesus is the only way

Jesus is the only way Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Coeburn V.A.
    No, I drove for 20 years hauling reefers and that's all I enjoy doing. The only thing that sucks about it is the wait time at pickup and delivery locations but other than that, I love it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.