Does Swift still not have APU or Inverters?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by RedRover, Oct 7, 2016.

1. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Yes I have searched, no I haven't found current information. I'm heading to school on Monday(it's Friday now) and my recruiter is harder to reach than weekend night dispatch.

Do you have inverters and APU? If no to both, what size inverter may I put in the truck without being fired? Also, I want to go flatbed, because I like the idea of doing actual work every now and then. Is there a process by which I tell them what fleet I would like to be in, and was that supposed to begin with my recruiter, or am I able to make that call at Orientation after school?

And for those of you running flatbed at Swift... How many miles are you getting and what is the starting pay for a new CDL holder... How much for Tarping, how much for chaining... Are pretty much every load going to be Laredo, Greer, Gary... Chassis, coil, van, rinse and repeat? I'm looking to go OTR and I live about an hour(sans traffic) south of Dallas, Texas. What's the story Swifties?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Not only do they not have APUs or inverters, they actually have a policy against having an inverter in your truck at all.

Unless you have sleep apnea, then you get one.

Puppage and RedRover Thank this.
  4. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Maybe the truck that I inherit(unless brand new, here's hoping!) will be from a former fatty that they conned into believing sleep apnea is a real thing and made him have one installed. You think they remove them when those folks leave after a couple of months?

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    They allow inverters that plug in to the 12V socket. That limits you to around 150W, even with larger capacity inverters.

I use the Cobra 400W, but it only outputs 150W when using the 12V plug.
    Having it has never caused an issue, and it is in the open when I put it in the shop.

6. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    No, they do not have APU's. They DO allow small inverters, up to 300 watts, that will plug into the power outlets. If you want to buy a bigger inverter, it must be installed by a Swift shop. Just be aware that if you swap trucks, your inverter will probably stay with the truck.

I have heard that some of the newer 2017 trucks do come with an inverter pre installed, but not all.

7. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I've gotten so used to 12V lunchbox ovens and a plug-in inverter, I don't really need more than that.
    My inverter charges and powers everything I need. My laptop computer is also my 'TV'.
    Never really needed, or liked, microwave ovens.
    My Coleman cooler keeps food colder than my refrigerator at home.

RedRover Thanks this.
  8. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    My trainer was a lease op and when he put his truck in the shop they told him he wasn't supposed to have his 1500 watt inverter in the truck, but never did anything to force him to take it out.

When I went through orientation we were all told absolutely no inverters, I remember that specifically because it pissed me off that they'd make such a stupid rule.
    Everyone there has the cigarette lighter inverters regardless though, like moose said.

RedRover Thanks this.
  9. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    What would the protocol be for having one installed... Pull in at my home terminal for home time and have them install it when performing a B service or something like that? I assume the priority level is somewhere below never going to happen and if I took two weeks of home time they may get around to it? Lol

10. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    How do people cook on their truck? They already barely pay people, but on top of that you are also forced to eat out every day?

11. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You are not forced to do anything. Don't be dramatic.

A lunchbox oven costs around $30-$40, depending if it is on sale.
    With it you can cook baked potatoes, chicken, fish, rice and veggies, and any number of things. All of which are cheaper and better for you than truck stop/fast food.
    With a good 12V cooler you can stock up things that need to stay cold.
    Walmarts are all over the place, and you could get to one at any time during your day. Most of them allow truck parking; some for only a short time for shopping. SoCal - forget it. You can't even get in with a trailer.

There are many threads here about cooking in the truck.

And speaking of pay...
    If you are so disheartened about the pay, why get into trucking?
    But as with any new career, you will be paid on the low end when you begin. With hard work and a good work ethic, and a bit of luck, you will be making more in a short time. If you get in to the right account or division you can also make more. The possibilities in trucking are only limited by your imagination.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.