Does training count as experience?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Claymoresauce, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Claymoresauce

Claymoresauce Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Hello. I've been driving now for 6 months and I'm rather unsatisfied with my current position. I want to look for another job, but a lot of them are asking for at least 6 months experience. My question is does the time I spent with my trainer count towards that 6 months? I went through an accredited training school then took a job with my current company. I was driving my first day out with my trainer (he picked me up short on hours and we had to switch in the emergency lane to find a place to stop) so I would think that it should. We team drove for 3 weeks and I tested out. Since then I've been on my own. Will companies count this as a full 6 months experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Yes, your time clock began when you are hired by a Company... New Hires Orientation time is included.

T_Bone and Claymoresauce Thank this.
  4. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Switching seats in the breakdown lane. Ha. He was serious about using all his hours. At least he didn't use your clock like some of the trainer horror stories we hear

5. Claymoresauce

Jan 29, 2015
    Yeah he was overall pretty professional. Clean truck, showered every day, and didn't break any rules (when it could be avoided lol). I liked him and still talk to him today. Reading some of those trainer horror stories makes me believe I got lucky.

icsheeple, T_Bone and HorseShoe Thank this.
  6. Try and stay for a 1 yr and a day

As well as not hopping from company to company every 6 months.

Ideal is. Put in 2yrs and a day. Then jump ship.

flyingmusician and T_Bone Thank this.
  7. Claymoresauce

Jan 29, 2015
    I considered waiting a year before I changed jobs, but I'm just seeing so much available to me with 6 months experience. There's lots of work available at a higher pay rate than I'm making now (.34 cpm regional 5 days a week 2k-ish miles), even local stuff at $22 an hour. I'm gonna see what else is out there but even if I can't find anything good, I can always go back to the company I'm currently driving for. Everyone I've talked to that's worked here for a while has told me that people are always allowed to come back barring they didn't leave on bad grounds....and I don't plan on abandoning the truck. I'll leave in a professional manner. I've got no CSA, no accidents, no tickets/warnings, and no late deliveries so I'd say they'd have no problem with me coming back.

8. Jerry12

Sep 9, 2014
    get a pay raise...then stay put. (Just a thought: Multi Stop Foods Svc will have exceptional pay.)

9. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    From my time, Training time was not accepted as experience. PGT told me that the only time that counted from my time at TMC was once I was released from training to where I was solo in the truck then then my experience clock started.

10. Jerry12

Sep 9, 2014
    The Time Clock starts when you begin your employment getting paid driving a semi truck. (Orientation time is included). Carriers, may not hire you with less than 5 years, 2 years, 1 years or 6 mos experience...ask the Carrier. Time with a Trainer is Quality Time...don't become discourage by advice.

11. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    Listen to these guys they are talking sense. Try to use the other higher payin company as leverage to get more money where you are you will be far better off sticking it out a year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.