Does US Xpress have inward facing dashcams?

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Wade73, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Johan

Johan Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2013
    And like I said, if that's the case then perhaps this isn't the best industry for you. Those cameras are here and they will continue to become more and more common as time goes on. If you're just entering the industry now and I you plan to remain in the industry for 20 years or more, there is a very good chance that you will have a camera in the truck with you at some point.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johan

Johan Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Companies are already using them and from what I understand, they have no more or less trouble finding drivers than anyone else. Nor do they have to pay more just because there's a camera in the truck. As for liability, what liability? You mean getting sued or prosecuted for an accident caused by their driver? Guess what? Cameras definitely prove innocence just as easily as they prove guilt.

arubajim Thanks this.
  4. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    1) If someone tried to put one in my truck it would experience the hammer malfunction.

2) If you have a driver that exhibits poor habits and you do nothing then he gets into an accident now the company is liable. If you try and make drivers change they will quit. Its a catch 22. As far as a few companies getting away with this ########, well in a poor economy you can pull crap like that. When things heat up and drivers truly become short again those jobs will go begging.

3) the only company I know of that does have these things is linde, and they haul cryogenically frozen cargo, haz mat goodies and such, And they DO have to pay a higher rate to keep their drivers, and even with the higher rates they pay they still have issues keeping guys.

Feel free to make yourself a slave to your company of choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  5. Johan

Johan Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ...and you would be fired. I'm sure a tough guy like yourself realizes that and couldn't care less. Fair enough. No skin off my teeth either way.

There is no catch 22. If a driver exhibits poor habits, that driver gets warned. If the driver quits, problem solved as far as the company is concerned. That's the reason they want the cameras in the first place. The idea is it allows the company to quickly and easily identify which drivers are doing it the way the company wants them to and which ones aren't so they can get rid of the ones that aren't. Or better yet, so the ones that aren't will get rid of themselves thereby saving the company the need to fire them. There is no catch 22. You getting gone because you don't want to play by the company rules is part of the plan from the get go.

They pay their drivers more because of the cargo they haul, not because of the cameras. My company doesn't use them yet but they've been talked about so I can't say we'll never have them. Our main tire vendor put them in their service trucks last year. They lost some people over it and as far they're concerned, almost everyone they lost were people who needed to go anyway. You could argue with that logic but the company is entitled to feel the way they feel.

I drive a desk now so I don't have a dog in this fight. But I'm a realist and I call it like I see it. The bottom line is the numbers don't lie. Companies that adopt these systems experience fewer at fault accident claims after the systems are in than they did before the systems were installed. From the companies point of view if it means losing a big chunk of drivers in order to achieve that, its still worth it in the end. And that is the reason I say we will only see more and more companies going to these systems in the future. If it turns out that I'm wrong, then it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last.

6. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Oh you are a company man, that makes your views and opinions come from a different angle than most on here.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    TruckDuo and BigBluePeter Thank this.
  7. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    Have the discussion without exchanging insults, please.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  8. Johan

Johan Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2013
    My views are the same as they've always been. They didn't change when I stopped driving.

9. Wade73

Wade73 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Springfield, IL
    Johan, so would you be in favor of having a cam at your desk? If so, ask your company to install one.

10. Johan

Johan Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2013
    I am in favor of whatever allows me to bring home a paycheck which supports the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed. Other than that, I could care less. If my company wants to install a camera on my desk, so be it. In fact, I've already got a camera on my desk. Its right above the screen on my laptop. Since that laptop is owned and maintained by my company, they could easily install software which turned that camera on and recorded everything I did and said while in my office and I would never know it.

They could also install software which monitors everything I type, every website I go to, every email I read or respond to and everything else I do with that computer. I seriously doubt my company does it but TONS of companies do and I wouldn't have the slightest problem if mine did too. Why? Because I have no expectation of privacy when I'm in my office or anywhere else on company property including when I'm in one of our trucks or in a meeting with one of our vendors or customers.

11. Wade73

Wade73 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Springfield, IL
    Awesome! So ask your boss to install cameras first thing tomorrow morning to prove your point. If you dont, then you have no credibility. Also, ask them to install cameras in your home to monitor you when you are working there. I'm sure you will be fine with that too.

arw911 and 12 ga Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.