Do's and Don'ts at Landstar?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Trucking Popeye, Feb 10, 2015.

1. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    i dont think you can, but why would you want to? i would imagine it would be pretty expensive, and i dont think ryder an penske are very friendly to one truck operators. and come inspection time you would have to get two imspetions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    I don't do drop and hooks. If you have your own trailer you make an extra 7% in dry van and it makes you just a little more independent. There are several places you can purchase, rent, or lease/purchase your own trailer even if you are a single truck operation.

4. mastllc

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    yea, at least where i live i had a friend try and rent at flatbed and the rental place wouldn't rent to him because he was leased to ls, and ls probably wouldn't let him lease it on. ill all for getting your own trailer, i plan on getting mine sometime in the future myself, i just think if you rent going through penske and ryder the the like would be cost prohibitive.

5. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    I had just the opposite reaction. Everyone I talked to at MATS was ready to loan money, or lease a trailer at the mere mention of Landstar.

6. mastllc

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    it a trailer rental place they said you had to have your own authority to rent from them.

7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Short term rentsls aren't going to fly here, for trucks or trailers, but a long term (like 1 year) lease should be fine.

8. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I don't know. But my opinion is, an O/O at L/S might be severely limiting their field of opportunity by not being able to take drop and hook loads. So limited load selection and more time at the customers.
    Is my thinking correct?

9. fortycalglock

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    No not really. There's a van shortage here, so waiting on one could cost you way more money than taking a drop and hook here and there, plus you never know what you're going to get at a D&H. On top of that, you make 7% more revenue. A guy using Landstar's van will have to run 10 loads to equal 9 loads of revenue with your own van. If said BCO takes 2-3 weeks off, LS typically will take your van and now you'll need to wait to get another or go do an agent a favor like a repower to get one.

Wickedfire77 and Hegemeister Thank this.
  10. fortycalglock

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    BTW, LS has brought back the flatbed and stepdeck leasing program. You pay a flat weekly fee and get the 8% from the trailer. Not sure what the pricing is, but I'm going to guess it's around $200 a week.

whoopNride and Hegemeister Thank this.
  11. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Is the BCO required to apply the Landstar graphics to the trailer?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.