Do's and Don'ts at Landstar?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Trucking Popeye, Feb 10, 2015.

1. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Just a trailer number.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    The only reason I see for a short term lease of a month would be to keep rolling while your equipment is out of service for some reason. Other than that you should be looking at ways to own equipment free and clear. It is real nice to not have truck payments, I can put that money towards repairs if necessary. An illustration is that as I was doing my pretrip I saw that the tread was pealing off a set of caps I bought in January. I was on my way to pick up a load, so no time to mess around with LCAPP. Pulled into Love's and bought 2 new virgin Firestone drives. Am I pleased? No way and before I put Goodyear caps on my truck again a certain place will have to freeze over and I don't mean the one in Michigan. Still, I had plenty left on my card to buy fuel and operate for at least another week already set aside. I also can't remember the last time I had to use an advance.

As far as avoiding drop & hooks. I do so because I loose way too much money with them. Between my last company and Landstar I have not picked up a trailer that didn't have and issue that required a stop at a shop. The second issue is that you don't know if a trailer is waiting for you at the consignee. If you aren't booking at least one load ahead you are losing money. I run Midwest regional and book only short hauls. That means I am always 1 to 2 loads ahead. I plan 2 hours for loading, 2 hours for unloading and 50 miles an hour for travel. Then I often throw in an extra hour just for good measure. Since my wife and I made this switch we have watched our income jump and we're still learning. Very seldom do I run into customers that take longer than 2 hours to load, or unload, of course I also stay away from grocery warehouses such as MacLain and Performance Food.

4. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    i usually try to avoid dropping and hooking, only once have i ever had an issue that needed attention right away. i usually can go 2 to 3 weeks with out dropping and hooking, but i have found a few agents that have some good paying drop and hooks, and every now and again drop n hook to get to a good load. i was wanting to buy a good used dry van, and maybe a step or flat next year, but as i was getting close i had a change of heart. two of the three agents can live load me, but the most important agent cant load a o/o's trailer, so for no ill hold off.

5. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    So you mean the most important agent only has drop and hook freight?

6. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    One thing I am still trying to wrap my head around is Landstar's attitude toward family. My wife handles my dispatching and is doing a much better job of establishing relationships with agents than I ever could. She concentrates on working with agents, while I concentrate on driving.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  7. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    the agent that i use the most has drop n hook freight, but i dont use them all the time.

8. Mr.Precious

Mr.Precious Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Missouri
    Flood,
    What is the name of that trucking company that you worked for?
    Thanks

9. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    SO your doing a fleece purchase through a company correct?

10. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    Wrong. Try reading the thread first if you’re going to troll old posts (the one you quoted was from February) to find ammunition to start up with your anti-lease rants.

He says in post 1 that finished a Swift lease and is signing on with Landstar with a “"new to me" truck”. Landstar does not lease trucks so this is obviously not lease through the company he is leasing on to and he says later in post 53 of this thread that he is leasing his new to him truck from Loan Mountain.

11. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    This thread quieted down . Anything new to report? The countdown begins next month as my friend accumulates his experience to 1 year so we can team at LS. I still need my hazmat though, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has an insight on LS team freight and if it is worthwhile

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.