DOT brake scanners.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by xsetra, Aug 30, 2015.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I've been reading about the new scanners some DOT stations will use to determine if our brakes are working properly.
    What infractions are being wrote up using this data, can the truck trailer be put out of service?
    This is technology that my service center doesn't have. I haven't seen these machines yet, I don't want to either.
    I don't mind the DOT helping me prevent a problem. BUT I'm mad as heck if they use my taxes to generate a way to fine me or put me out of service using technology I can't afford to acquire or pay to use.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Are these the heat scanners?

4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    It's all infrared. They basically look to see if one axle end is significantly hotter or cooler than the rest. It takes further inspection to determine the cause, and if it is a violation.

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Not sure what they are. I read they can accurately test the performance of each braking position. The DOT will have these at 18 inspection stations this year for the brake check week. Not sure which states or stations. Thanks to funds provided by CVSA.

6. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    never heard of them, doing that, but who knows..??? all i can think of is the portable hand held infra red scanners that take temperature readings.

[​IMG]

or at the very least, thermal imagers....
    [​IMG]

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    So as long as I continue to do my pretrip inspections and check pushrod measurements I have nothing to be concerned about.

8. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Yep, unless you have a wheel bearing start to go bad.

Big Don Thanks this.
  9. G.Anthony

Dec 10, 2014
    i hate to say it, (but i will) all i have to do is call my company for trailer service, or take the tractor to Penske for tractor service. I personally do not nor will i ever crawl under any part of my rig and check push rod adjustments.

lights work..?? check

trailer loaded?? check

lunch with me.?? check

but then too, all our equipment is brand new..

told ya, i hate to say it......

and then too, we run at night, never an open scale house.....

been going on 4 years now......never open.

10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    i http://www.cvsa.org/programs/op_airbrake_brake_systems.php#pbbt_1

What is a PBBT inspection?

A Performance Based Brake Tester (PBBT) measures the slow speed brake force and weight at each wheel, adds up the total vehicle brake force, and divides it by the total vehicle weight to determine overall vehicle braking efficiency. U.S. federal regulations and the North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria require a minimum braking efficiency of 43.5%. If your vehicle’s braking efficiency is below 43.5%, your brakes are in need of service because they are not providing the minimum stopping power required and are performing poorly.

Click here for an example of what an inspection report will show if you are tested on a PBBT. Note that if any wheel end is showing braking efficiency below 43.5%, there’s likely something wrong with that brake, even if no violation is found.

baha Thanks this.
  11. G.Anthony

Dec 10, 2014
    i get an error to your link

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.