DOT exam, new BMI requirements?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Skootlez, May 22, 2015.

1. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey guys I was doing a bit of research on the entire CDL testing process and what not, when I came across someone who said you can't have a BMI greater than 35 now. I'm a rather large guy (6'3, 350), but to the best of my knowledge I don't have any issues with blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I currently walk about a mile each day with absolutely no problems, and even work out a bit at home. I'm just wondering if I'm looking at the wrong information, or if I really do need to lose weight before I can get my physical passed.

Edit: forgot to mention I'm also 26.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    some of these things like BMI are recommendations not requirements and bmi only goes towards whether or not you need a sleep study
    some companies require that some don't

4. Skootlez

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Ahh okay. I'm pretty sure other than incredibly loud snoring, I'm pretty good in the sleep department. I hope I can still pass. Even as we speak I'm considering walking another half mile at least before I start my day Lol.

5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Hence your avatar? lol

It's up to the doctor if he wants to make an issue out of you BMI and many other things. Go to the doctor at the IOWA80 truckstop in Walcott, IA. He is VERY trucker friendly.

double yellow, paul_4lp and 123456 Thank this.
  6. Skootlez

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Can we use nurse practitioners? If so a friend of my mothers will happily do it I'm pretty sure. The lady has basically seen my brother and I grow up, so hopefully she'll be able to assist with that too. Lol

Edit: Also, yes! I always joke the picture is the closest thing I've came to taking a selfie lmao.

7. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Yes, you can use a nurse practitioner or a chiropractor just as long as they are certified to do DOT physicals.

8. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    My friend is in his 50's. He was born with a crooked little finger. You can't really notice it. He went to Concentra for a physical and they only gave him a one year certificate. Doctor said it could flare up at any time. He stormed out and went to a different place and that doctor laughed.

9. Skootlez

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow. My doctors have been surprised at me every time I go to them. I'm usually in good health unless I got a cold or something. I'll check on her being DOT certified. I appreciate the information!

10. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Just an FYI. Any truckstop that has a doctor there to do physicals are usually trucker friendly and not out to screw you. They would be out of business REAL quick once word got out.

I'm not going to say where but there's this one truck stop doctor that turns his back on you when doing the eye test. Your suppose to cover each eye and read the chart. Everyone uses both eyes for each test....lol

11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    After you start driving you most likely will gain a lot more weight. You have to change your diet now. Walking won't do anything if you are eating a bag of cheaps and drink few cans of soda per day

technoroom Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.