DOT Inspection methods

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by thesvg, Mar 20, 2012.

1. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Well, I've trained a few driver just out of school, smart guys, but they didn't have a clue. So, trooper attending some sort of driving school doesn't really cut it, they need to actually do the job a few years to understand.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    I have always thought, as a former truck driver, that part of the DOT Officer field training program should be at least a week riding along with an OTR driver. Just so new officers can have an idea what drivers have to put up with on the road.

alds and keepntruckin Thank this.
  4. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I have been inspected at a fair few California scales, and have yet to see them live up to their "CB Reputation". @10yrs ago, I got a fix it ticket for having no muffler on the truck, when I removed it to make room for a headache rack I had at the time. Couldn't say fairer than that IMHO, as it cost me absolutely nothing but a muffler.
    Of course, the similarities between me not getting too much hassles and BS tickets, may have something to do with the fact I shower everyday, keep on top of my maintenance, treat the inspector with respect without kissing his rear, take the extra 30 seconds to keep my logbook up to date, and so on. Must be why I adjusted the truck and trailer brakes and checked the tire pressures with a REAL pressure gauge while I have been sat in Az for the weekend, after replacing the exhaust clamps on the whole system when I was at home last week. Brakes, tires, exhaust all look good, chances are they will be nice to you in my experiences.
    I haul oversize/overweight loads, and if I can get by with either a clean slate or a warning, then anyone can. I do, after all, have permits, securements, curfews, routing, axle spacings, and so on to contend with, as well as all the "normal" stuff on a truck and trailer.
    I was DOT'd at Billings a few years ago. Weird because I had a 12' wide load on the trailer I thought. After a very thorough inspection, the inspector called me down and showed me a crack in the front brake shoe that was longer than the new regs allowed. That should have been an OOS violation by the new regs, but he let me go with a warning about a 3/8" crack to allow me to get to the dealer in Missoula to get both front shoes replaced (he heard me on the fone with them booking it in). He said he let me go with a warning due to everything else being up to par, and was confident that I was going to get the brakes done that very day, which I did.
    I have more experiences like the one above, but you get the idea I hope.
    Moral of the long post? Do your part, and they (DOT officers, cops, scales, etc) will do theirs
    Martin

5. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Without at least the fear that you could be ticketed or placed OOS imagine the junk that would be rolling down the road.
    So many companies and OO's hauling cheap freight and spending nothing on repairs and maintenance now its scary.

flatbeb mac, Tazz and keepntruckin Thank this.
  6. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Then it would seem that the inverse would also be helpful. Truck drivers would need to do the Troopers job a few years to understand. Possibly we would then create a new breed of critter, a Trooper/trucker or would that be a Trucker/Trooper. :biggrin_2559: Looks like the disagreements would be endless!

Best regards

keepntruckin Thanks this.
  7. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Jeez you guy's come up with some silly hypotheticals. Yeah I read the thread so don't bother posting the link. I have never heard an" auto-level" actuating 10 minutes later.

However in that instance if I could find one and an officer wanted to question whether it was in fact the proper function of said device I would ask what the determining factor for OOS on air leaks was. Then I would show him my vehicle despite any supposed air leak did not lose the required 4 pounds a minute, and in fact lost nothing(or at least so minor the guage register's no change). As repeatedly explained to you if he still persisted I would request a supervisor.

Yes yes I know you have yet another story of showing a LEO backing your self fulfilling fantasies. But in the real world if you keep your equipment, temperament, paper work, appearance, bearing, and your knowledge about you nothing is to be feared in any state despite the many fallacies people create.

alds and keepntruckin Thank this.
  8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    There was a driver this morning that blew his engine on I-24 on the south side of Chattanooga. It literally exploded. Metal parts and dumped oil for 800'. Had it down to one lane all morning while they cleaned the mess up. I know I can make it up Monteagle with this rod knocking.

Drivers have plenty of warning signs. Just drive her into the ground.

9. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

396.3 does not say the same as you are saying here. Please give a good reference because I do the test a little different. I never leave the engine running because how would you ever find a leak if the compressor is suppyling air? Also there is a time requirement and I believe you must apply at least 90psi on the pedal. It's worked well for me over the years but I could be wrong. Please help.

10. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    What he is quoting is the CVSA out of service criteria for air loss.

dibstr Thanks this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Ok, and it says to leave the engine running??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.