DOT Inspection methods

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by thesvg, Mar 20, 2012.

1. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Firstly, this wasn't hypothetical it happened. I was hauling chemical in a smooth bore trailer. The stuff was thick almost jello, and once it started to move a bit, it would keep moving. I'd say 30 minutes and the auto-leveler would quit as this is how long it took for it to stop moving. And this was being careful with the stuff... If you ever had to get on the breaks hard... you were gonna get slammed big time. (I'm sure you know exactly what it's like to haul this stuff and have done it many times, as you portray yourself as being perfect and know everything about trucking).

Again, reread my post... I tried to explain what it was to the DOT guy, but he still assumed it was a leak. No, I wasn't put OOS when it happened, was told to get it fixed ASAP. There was nothing to fix.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    396.3 doesn't say what you are saying either and is to say the least somewhat vague, so what specifically are you referencing? As far as a good reference it was quoted directly from the CVSA "NORTH AMERICAN STANDARD VEHICLE OUT-OF-SERVICE CRITERIA".

The OOS criteria depends on the leak being more than the compressor can compensate for, therefore the engine has to be running and the air compressor governor cut in to be able to know.

For OOS criteria there is no time limit. If the compressor can outrun a leak the vehicle should not be put OOS. The test you are referencing is from the CDL manual. It does have value in determining if a leak exists and if one does a static test engine off with both buttons out, an engine off brakes released leakage rate, and an an engine off brakes (Service brake) applied leakage rate test it does help in determining if a leak exists, as well as where a leak can and cannot be, but it has nothing to do with OOS criteria.

Let me step out on a limb here and say also that not one test in the CDL manual done as directed is a valid test in function (Other than possibly the Park brake test and stopping action test) nor do any of these tests qualify as valid to place a vehicle OOS.

Best regards.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  4. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Yes, to be placed OOS engine has to be running (Idling) with the governor cut in (80-90 psi) and service brakes applied. If the compressor can compensate for (Out run) a leak it is not an OOS defect. If pressure in either the P or S reservoirs is not maintained, then it is an OOS defect.

Best regards

keepntruckin Thanks this.
  5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Ok ,that all makes sense. However, I do the check during my pre-trip and I'm only checking for leaks. If I find any the truck goes to our shop. It has to be that way since we use air on a lot of valves and such and we don't want any leaks at all.

6. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Absolutely do whatever is needed to satisfy yourself the vehicle is in good working order.

Best regards

keepntruckin Thanks this.
  7. Mobilezeus84

Mobilezeus84 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I have an air bag leak but the compressor keeps up with the pressure. Should i be worried right if DOT catches it?

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You know this thread is 5 yrs old. But to answer your question, yes, It probaly won 't get better. It could put you out of service. Fix it.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    What was said 5 years ago may not be the case today. With laws changing every year.

10. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I had a air bag leak on a truck awhile back. I was only going about 5 miles to the shop so I moved on. You need to get a airbag leak fixed asap. Even a very small hole can get bigger really fast.

I also had a airbag completely blow out one time. Had to limp back in with the suspension dropped to keep from loosing all my air.

IMO, a completely blown bag where you can't hold air pressure shouldn't automatically be OOS. You can drop your air suspension and continue running perfectly safe. I will be a rougher ride but I can't see anything unsafe about it.

11. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    While hitting the dump switch to prevent air leakage is a great idea. Running a loaded tractor with the suspension deflated can cause permanent damage to the equipment. Suspension height directly affects driveline angles and puts severe stress on u-joints and driveline components. Its much more than just flat air bags riding on the bump stops. Dangerous...maybe not. Not a good idea if you can help it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.