DOT MEDICAL CARD

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by mightytrucker, Feb 15, 2016.

1. mightytrucker

mightytrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2015
    So I have a question in regards to the medical card.
    When I first got my permit a few months ago I got a 2 year medical card which will expire in september 2017. I got hired by schneider a month ago and retook the physical at their orientation at another state. Their doctor gave me a 3 month certification and told me to go get a sleep apnea test. I am no longer with schneider and I will have to pay for all of the expense. Now here is my question:
    Is my first medical card still valid? Does the doctor that gave me my 3month card report the physical to my state's dot? Does the dot have some sort of system to track our physicals and know if we are self-certifying or not? Is there anyway I could at least take another physical without having to take the sleep apnea study?
    any info would be much appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    And the sleep apnea scam continues.

If it was me,I'd run on the 2 year.

It is a valid card if they didn't revoke it.
    My 2 cents worth of truckstop lawyer advice.lol....

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Next time hire on with a company that doesn't require another physical. A few companies will take your current medical card if it has a few months left on it.
    At least get another physical on your own and don't mention the sleep apnea and let the new doctor make his own determination.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  5. mightytrucker

Dec 2, 2015
    Thanks for the advice. I'm working for an IC right now and don't plan on going back to any of the megas anytime soon.
    do you guys know anything about this? I found it on FMCSA'S website
    "FMCSA amends the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) to require certified medical examiners (MEs) performing physical examinations of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers to use a newly developed Medical Examination Report (MER) Form, MCSA-5875, in place of the current MER Form and to use Form MCSA-5876 for the Medical Examiner's Certificate (MEC); and report results of all CMV drivers' physical examinations performed (including the results of examinations where the driver was found not to be qualified) to FMCSA by midnight (local time) of the next calendar day following the examination. The reporting of results includes all CMV drivers who are required to be medically certified to operate in interstate commerce, not only those who hold or apply for commercial learner's permits (CLP) or commercial driver's licenses (CDL), and results of any examinations performed in accordance with the FMCSRs with any applicable State variances (which will be valid for intrastate operations only). For holders of CLP/CDLs (interstate and intrastate), FMCSA will electronically transmit driver identification, examination results, and restriction information from examinations performed from the National Registry to the State Driver's Licensing Agencies (SDLAs). The Agency will also transmit medical variance information for all CMV drivers electronically to the SDLAs."

6. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    What is means is the doctors have to be certified with the federal government to do cdl physicals. It used to be any doctor could do the physical. What you need to be aware of now is that they are now putting your medical information on your driving record. If there are any restrictions on your physical they will be recorded. That is where the problems begin for drivers.

7. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    You have to self certify your medical card with the stage. To the best of my knowledge no one else can do this for you. So as long as you didn't send the three month card to the state you should be fine..

unloader

8. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    The most current Physical is the one that is valid. Per the Reg as it is written Schneider had to submit the physical they gave you, by midnight of the following day to the feds, who will in turn send this info to your state agency. i would go get another physical from the doctor who gave you the two year card.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's good advice. Do that and if you get another 2 or even 1 yr. card, apply with a company that doesn't require another physical.

10. mightytrucker

Dec 2, 2015
    Now, is there anyway for the doctor who gave me the two year card to know that I have a 3 month medical card pending sleep study??

11. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Get a new physical. The one with the latest date is the only valid test.

Sorry this happened to you! But it happens to a lot of people and the sleep apnea thing is very serious if you have it.

If they bring up the sleep apnea be honest tell them you felt like it was a scam you already had a valid med card and you don't have a sleeping problem.

Good luck !

tsavory Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.