DOT MEDICAL CARD

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by mightytrucker, Feb 15, 2016.

1. 426yankee

426yankee Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Charlottesville,VA
    I have two words for you, Second Opinion

Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    As long as you don't lie, you're fine. If asked if you've ever been diagnosed with sleep apnea, as long as you haven't yet participated in a scammer's test to receive the diagnosis, then you can honestly say "no". You have EVERY RIGHT to seek a second opinion, and as long as you are consistent in the way you answer questions, you have done nothing wrong. What gets you in trouble is if you tell one doc you have a hard time staying awake during the day and don't feel like you sleep well at night (so he gives you a 3 month card and orders a sleep test)...and then you tell the next doc that everything is great and you sleep soundly and wake up refreshed every morning and never feel tired throughout the day (covering up a problem that got you an undesired outcome in order to avoid a repeat undesired outcome). You need to give each doc the SAME info in order to CYA. Not only that, but if you really DO have a problem, you ought to have it treated. Get a 2nd opinion, 3rd opinion, or however many you feel like paying for...but give them the same answers to any questions they may ask. Don't try to cheat the system.

4. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Keep your 2 year card and remember, don't be overly honest. Been walking this earth for almost 81 years and if I have learned anything, it is that a person can be too honest.

roadmap65 Thanks this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    some companies register your med card with your DMV online and if Schneider did that then your 3 month card is valid and your 2 yr card is not.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  6. saddlesore

saddlesore Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    The Great NorthWet
    AND..... no you do not snore!

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  7. roadmap65

roadmap65 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Very true. being to honest and talking to much can get you in trouble. You dont necessarily have to lie, just shut up and stop telling on yourself..

TequilaSunrise and Grouch Thank this.
  8. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    I will not go into details, but I have been asked by a number of people, "how do you do what you do"?---My answer, "just don't tell everything". Another thing that I have learned over the years, the more you know the more you got to do. I have gotten out of many tasks by just saying "I don't know"

9. Chewinpavement

Chewinpavement Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2016
    I'm about to attend orientation in Green Bay as an IC. I too have an unrestricted medical card, but it is my understanding that I have to take a physical by their ME's. I asked the recruiter about this before, and they told me it was my responsibility to have and keep a valid medical card, so I don't really get why I would need to do another physical when I have over a full year left on the two-year I already have...anyone know if they will accept the one I already have? I really don't want to get sucked into the whole sleep apnea black hole...

10. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I would think with a full year you should be fine. Each company has their own policy as they are controlled by the insurance companies that covers the liability.

11. Chewinpavement

Chewinpavement Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Well, this orientation is for Schneider. I'm leasing on with them for a year to see how it goes...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.