DOT medical in PA

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Josee, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Josee

Josee Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Hey all,

In the span of 6 months I had done 5 different DOT medical tests, each time for 2 years. Why 5? Well, I guess due to the human nature? I dealt with 5 different firms, 2 of them outright lied about the amount of physical work expected (PepsiCo in PA - unloading +15,000 lbs/day using two wheel dolly, at rate of 15.30/hour, to the firm it's "normal") so I moved on. I had similar or worse experience with the other 2 firms (unload boom-truck loaded with various size of drywall panels...awesome experience) . The last one, T/T, so far seems to be as honest as it gets - finally. In my case, the 5th is the charm.

What I am puzzled about is this, "My 5 DOT cards have all been issued within the past 6 months, all for 2 years. So, if there is a doctor or nurse practitioner from the same state (each doctor/NP paid large to be licensed, each license has a specific ID stated on the card) with the current license issued by that state for the DOT testing, and there is mine, previously issued DOT medical card (5 of them now) is unexpired (a way before its expiration) - why then every new trucking firm demands a new DOT medical card? Each firm pays for such exam cca 130 to 150 bucks so don't they mind paying this amount in vain? Each new test show the same exact results. I don't have to say that, while it's a separate issue and more complicated process, the same pertains to requirement of a new background check. But, let's keep the focus on the DOT medical card, so why on freaggin earth each new firm does not respect the previously issued, unexpired card? Is this common practice across this country or is it only established as the "madness of Pennsylvania state"?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Patriot

The Patriot Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    With some companies it is. They get kick backs and look to target (by discrimination mind you) fat folks for their myth of sleep apnea. All kick backs and money....but screws the working man. I have always paid for and gotten mine at a doctor of my choice. If a company pushes like the last one I worked for did, I cited religion as my refusal to play their doctor game even pointing to a current law suit over this and they backed off. As long as drivers play along with this, it will continue to be a problem.

kjoseph and Drac1985 Thank this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Wow, you had 5 jobs in 6 months? Or atleast in 2 years? As for med card...I thought the same thing when I got a different job...idk just to make sure u didn't forge it

truckon Thanks this.
  5. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    Not a PA thing its a company thing.I have had companies that want a fresh DOT so they know your good and I have had companies that honor an old DOT physical with at least 6 months left on them.May be an insurance issue with the companies.

Also even though they are a "standardized" test you will get variations from Dr to Dr so I'm sure they have a certain criteria you need to meet and they only trust their approved clinics

6. Josee

Josee Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    I had 3 jobs in 6 months, specifically 3 jobs in mess called trucking industry to be exact. 2 out of 5 I simply turned down before the orientation. Records of any of them fortunately do not show anywhere so screw the greedy management. I recommended that they get off their fat ##s and deliver their next load themselves. I just had my background check done for the last firm and all is clear without a mark. It may be bc I refuse to drive for the BIG bottom feeders, instead all were local. It is incredible how incredibly poor, badly managed some of these firms are - I can tell I got degree in business. Before trucking I used to stay with a firm for 5 to 10 years, but ever since I lost my last office job I could not find another, I'm over 50. If anyone will try to make you believe that there are laws against discrimination at the work place it's the same as when a prison guard tells you that you won't get rapped in prison. The last job seems to be OK, I get along just fine with the warehouse/office dudes so hopefully I won't have to go for the 6th DOT anytime soon.

7. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    You sir are part of the reason trucking has gone in the toilet. Lost your job and said hey I'll go drive a truck!

8. hunted

hunted Medium Load Member

Yup that is so dumb you change a job with a new card expect to go through it all over again it really is a joke

9. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    I had to reset my dot medical when I got hired to fedex freight as a driver.

10. The Patriot

The Patriot Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    That's rich, blame a guy trying to better himself and not these crap companies or the government regulations. Drivers that bend over and take it from them are one of the big problems with the industry in how they treat us and more importantly, the pay.

Air Breeze and Grouch Thank this.
  11. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Any time you take a new D.O.T. Physical, and get a new Long Form & Cab Card (regardless of how often), the previous one is "null and void" and should be shredded/destroyed. If a D.O.T. Officer asks to see your Physical Card at a scale or road side stop, and you whip out five of them...they are gonna lose their minds, and most likely hold you up longer than you need to be.
    Don't know if there is much more they would do than confiscate the 4 oldest ones and give you back the most current one while chewing your butt...and then shake their head and laugh at you with their buddies afterwards; but who wants to go through all that.
    The less you give a D.O.T. Officer to look at, the less they're gonna look, and the less they're gonna find.

Smarten up people!

In Iowa (and I thought it was everywhere), each time you get a new Physical Card...it HAS to be filed with the state (and you do that yourself by fax, snail mail, or scan and email), or you risk losing your CDL. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

The Patriot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.