DOT Proposes Speed limiter

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LBZ, Aug 26, 2016.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    This is gettin' good.

Go start pricing pre-electronic trucks- The ones in good conditrion Road ready are going way up in value.....

And I'm talking pre-1994 trucks- Not only are you Good to avoid ELD'S But you are California Legal,

Guys are askin' 40-60k for pre- 1994's.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 28

28 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I used to drive California ....55 mph made for a looooooooong day
    and not as many miles ....fatigue was an issue

65 is doable .... 60 would start to interfere with things

4. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Forget that... I tried getting a 15$ an hour yard jockey job doing that some years back, and when I showed up for work I was told "well, I don't have that position available right now, besides you have so many years driving with a clean record, so your over qualified for that.. I'll have you do this peddle run for a while for $10 an hour.." I went back on the road a couple months later. Believe it or not I actually missed OTR. The guy who ran the "peddle run" outfit lost his contract and canned everyone, gave me my last check and a card with an 800 number for a reference. When my next OTR company called him for a reference, it turned out to be a number for a phone sex line.

sevenmph, mpow66m and scottied67 Thank this.
  5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I am not worried about it. Whatever they want the limiter set at, mine will be able to do at least 10 mph more. All it takes is some ECM tweaking. I had my ECM speed limiter set at 65 some time ago. I can still run 75 any time I want, on accelerator or CC. And when anyone plugs in, all they see is 65 speed limiter set.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  6. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    And what happen when dot clock you over 65?

I was in canada and I saw this peterbuit behind me catching up. As u know canada is already limited to 65 so that was impossible for him to catch up to me so quickly. Up ahead was a dot scale and it was close. But when I was mere feet away from the sign, it lite up and now open. GREAT! I thought they were after me for some bs at the border. As I pull in, dot guy just said move it along and flag the truck behind me. I saw it was just 2 truck who pulled in, the rest were going by was it was close...

Zeviander Thanks this.
  7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I believe that is only enforced in 2 provinces? I passed a truckeh in Alberta and he looked at me like I had 2 heads or something.

8. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    They will clock me over 65 any time I go down a hill anyway. While the speed limiter may be set at 65, unless the actual speed limit changes it means nothing. I wouldn't be in violation of anything. Only if all states reduce truck speed limits to match speed limiter would it make any difference. if they clock me going over 65, and they pull me over and check, when they plug in they will see the speed limiter set at 65. It isn't what I will do when they clock me, it is what they will do when everything says I am in compliance.

It will be rare anyway. I typically run 62-64 everywhere and only kick it in the butt to get around someone and get out of the left lane and not hold up traffic.

9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Correct, QC and Ontario

10. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    What's the reasoning put forth by FMCSA and ATA? Speed kills. SSOOOOO
    I will accomodate them. Minimum speed, usually 50 on every highway, in the left lane as much as possible. It is called a work slowdown. Kinda like the "Blue Flu". The public will get the picture if enough guys do it.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  11. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Speed in and of itself doesn't kill, or everyone in NASCAR would be dead. Differential speed is what kills, and they have decided that they want more traffic accidents and deaths. Then they can use that as an excuse to then fire off another round of regulations. That is the nature of government. Been that way since the first civilization.

It is what happens when a people lose their moral compass and understanding of the principles of self government that the founders laid out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.