Dot regulations for tow trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Reliable2790, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Reliable2790

Reliable2790 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2011
    I drive a international 4300 4 door flatbed tow truck. After working at this compang for approximately 9 months they are now expectig me to sleep in my truck on my nights on call because I leave out of our covered area. However on my weekends to work they expect me to work from Thursday morning until Monday night without going home. Is this legal for them to do and if not is there anything I can do to put a stop to it? Any help is appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Most towing laws are covered by your state government. For example, I towed in PA, and theer were no laws governing work time, rest, distance from home office... nothing.

In Texas, there are no on-call drivers... each company has to actually man the 12 hour shift, meaning a guy can't get called out of bed to respond to a tow, whether police generated or private. Weird.

I'd research your state laws, and hopefully, these can get you the info you need.

4. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    If the tow truck is 10,0001 lbs or more all the same laws apply to it as it does a big truck. Even if they claim the local exemption, your company has to comply with Part 395.

123456 Thanks this.
  5. Reliable2790

Reliable2790 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2011
    What is part 395? I'm really new to dot regulations and laws. They are also saying I have to fill out log books and whatnot but they are saying the laws don't apply to us which makes no sense. I'm doing some research but coming up with squat. Is there any good websites to find these laws because google sucks.

6. Strider

Strider The Info Monster

Aug 30, 2010
    Kansas City
    dieselbear Thanks this.
  7. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Your boss needs to get KNEE DEEP in 395.1... if he's audited, or if any of your trucks are in an accident and you're not operating legally, he hasn't yet seen fines of that proportion, I promise.

8. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    If you are required by law to fill out logs then you're under dot regs. One of those regs prohibits you from sleeping in a truck that does not have an actual sleeper on it. You might want to print that out and give it to him.

Course I never filled out logs while running a tow truck no matter what size it was. Was never asked for them either.

9. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    No logs on the local rule stuff, time cards at place of employment, returning to the same home office, etc...

10. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Implying we even had time cards or a home office. My truck went in my front yard when I wasn't driving it just to piss off the local city council. On the boss's orders too.

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    If it's a CMV then no you can not sleep in the truck unless it has a sleeper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.