Dot regulations for tow trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Reliable2790, Jun 18, 2011.

1. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    You can sleep in it all you want... you cannot log it as sleeper berth if it does not have a conforming sleeper. Of course it can't be logged as off-duty either. Ironically though, you can log off-duty if you are outside your truck standing on your head, juggling flaming puppies or swallowing swords... or sleeping on the ground next to your truck.

You might not want to mention that last bit to your boss.

123456 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dobermanspud

Dobermanspud Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Golden, Colorado
    I drive a Flatbed Tow Truck in Colorado and you are subject to ALL dot requirements regarding hours that you work. This means that you either are 'On duty' driving or, 'On duty'/ Not driving (such as waiting at an accident scene to load) or 'Off duty'!

This issue that you run into with Tow Truck companies is that if they run a Non-CDL Truck they think they're not subject to DOT rules. They ARE as it is STILL a COMMERCIAL Vehicle! I run both CDL and Non-CDL trucks and neither one has a sleeper so as my work is within 100 miles of my office then usually no log book is required, but still limited to 12 hours! Sorry for long message!

4. Reliable2790

Reliable2790 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Thank you everyone for your help it is all greatly appreciated. dobermanstud being as we are contracted by AAA we keep logs of all the calls we run everyday including cash calls as well as AAA. My bosses are telling me that these yellow sheets as we call them are our logs and they have a pretrip checklist on the back that we must fill out everyday as well. i have a regular class E license and have been pulled over by DOT and they didnt say a thing about it. I guess what i really want to know is are there specific laws that i can use as leverage against my boss to knock down my hours because this is literally destroying my body. i understand that being paid a commission rather than hourly keeps me from getting him on wage laws but this is just getting rediculous

5. Bent Wrench

Bent Wrench Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Cornholio, OR
    Find another job.
    I tried to get my hours cut back and my boss told me it wouldn't be fair to the other drivers!! {snerk} I don't drive for him anymore.
    My previous tow employer ran me 5/12's and then demanded I make a 6+ hour round trip outside my 100 mile radius on top of that. I don't drive for her anymore.

6. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    6 whole hours? More than 100 miles? Gasp!

7. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I remember one lovely weekend where I was on call and the pager would go off every time I walked through my front door. This went on for 36 hours or so. I kinda lost track. I finally couldn't wake up anymore and the boss took over so I could sleep.

8. Reliable2790

Jun 18, 2011
    Ya I know the feeling there have been multiple weekends that I didn't sleep for 3 days straight and never went home. It actually is still happening I just want to find a way to stop it not just for me but all drivers that are getting screwed over but don't know what to do

9. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Bout all you can do is take your experience and move on to a better company.

10. Reliable2790

Jun 18, 2011
    Well down here in Florida they are all the same. They expect you to be robots but if everything everyone has told me is true me and a bunch of other drivers have a class action lawsuit coming uP against this douchebag. Feel free to comment more I can use all the ammo I can get. Thanks again

11. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Well, if there's a class action going, get in on it. You can start saving up a down payment and buy a used tow truck while your at it. Then you can set your own rules.

I worked for a guy that offered to sell me his older truck, a 95 F350. It was about 6 years old at the time and in pretty good shape. He wanted $17k for it and was willing to finance it and split the company with me. I probably should have taken the deal but I wasn't planning on making towing a career. Might go back to it someday if they keep making it more and more unpleasant to drive a big truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.