Dot vision test

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 23YearoldTrucker, Apr 13, 2016.

1. 23YearoldTrucker

23YearoldTrucker Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    With my glasses on, with both eyes open I have 20/20 or 20/30 vision. With my left eye open, with my right eye covered I can pass, but with my left eye covered with my right eye open it is really blurry and can't see those letters... Will I still Pass the vision part??. Basically my left eye compensates for my right eye, even with glasses on.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Providing that I am not mistaken, I believe that you need at 20/40 vision, with or without correction, in each eye.

Again, providing that I am correct, many states will not let you get your license for a regular car unless you have at least 20/40 vision, with or without correction, in each eye.

You may want to make an appointment with a DOT certified physician and hear what he or she has to say about this. Also, you may want to see an optometrist or an ophthalmologist about the possibility of stronger eye correction, or some other medical procedure, for your right eye.

Good luck to you! God bless you and your family!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    See an eye doctor about some glasses.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    You need new glasses.

Regardless of the DOT test, you'll be much better off with proper vision correction.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I wear a contact In my right eye. I am 20 20 in the left eye and 20 25 in my right. Your right about the left eye compensating. It will. Still you need to get that right eye checked out.

7. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Yes, you will fail if just the right eye is beyond 20/40. I have 20/20 in both, 20/15 in my left, and 20/50 in my right. I cut my right eye a decade or so ago and have needed glasses when I'm driving for the last 6.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Doctor: "Okay, can you read the fine print in your employment contract?"

Driver: "No."

Doctor: "You pass. NEXT!"

Weeezerd, Canned Spam and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    image.jpeg

Get the eye checked

Canned Spam, Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Vision problems, you may have noticed that if you turn on a bright lamp, you'll be able to read the print without aid of glasses. If, that's the case...too much CO2, in your system...simple fix, (get off your butt) start jogging, get up to 3 miles, consistently, (have at least 24, 3 mile jogging sessions before retaking your eye test). more than likely , this will correct your eye problem or decrease the problem where you'll pass a CDL eye exam.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wouldn't worry about it because if you want a CDL, you won't get it without the hassle. YOU won't pass unless you cheat.

I would say the best solution is to get to a doc, have your eyes examine and then a new pair of glasses - if you can't afford the doc, then borrow the money. If you can't afford the glasses, then I think you don't need to get a CDL but a job that doesn't involved driving because I and YOU can get a pair of $20 glasses that work for you - http://www.zennioptical.com

12. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Dude they have places you can get an exam and some new eyes for like $100.

I'm 20/15 corrected both eyes, 20/ blind as a bat uncorrected both eyes.

If you don't want to spend the $100, I recommend when they ask you read line whatever, you respond with " What chart? ". That should tell them what they need to know.

Longarm Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.