Double clutch or Float. You decide.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucker_Matt, Jul 19, 2012.

Do you float, double clutch, or single clutch?

1. *

Float em baby!

64 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. *

Double clutch all the way

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. *

Single clutch

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Flat Knuckle

Flat Knuckle Bobtail Member

To float or double-clutch? It's simple. If a company wants you to double-clutch or float, then do what they want. If they have no preference, or you're an owner-operator, then do as you prefer.

Trucker_Matt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker_Matt

Trucker_Matt Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Downriver, MI
    exactly. and ive heard double clutching wears the clutch out faster but if the company says to double clutch, and the clutch wears out, its not your/my fault bc it happened. its the companies responsibility to fix it because i/you were just driving by their standards. I was called an idiot for saying that. Funny huh..

4. Flat Knuckle

Flat Knuckle Bobtail Member

One other thing to add: if your DMV expects you to double-clutch on your drive test (as California does) then do exactly that.

5. Klatu

Klatu Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Argyle, TX
    You have blocker rings in your s-10. You will ruin it.

6. Klatu

Klatu Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Argyle, TX
    I'm afraid I don't understand. If you like to float, "float. If you like to double clutch, "double clutch. What's the big deal? My left leg gets tired of all that action. Now if I'm starting to go up a mountain, I might clutch it a little to make sure she's fully in gear. I don't want that puppy slipping out while under such a burden.:biggrin_25519:

7. Trucker_Matt

Jul 14, 2012
    Downriver, MI
    just polling fellow drivers to see what they like to do. it seems having the gears slip out is a real issue so i think double clutching is the ideal method, but under certain circumstances, i can see why floating would be beneficial.

8. Trucker_Matt

Jul 14, 2012
    Downriver, MI
    blocker rings in a 92? my buddy who drives a honda civic was telling me that floating in my s-10 would be a non issue?

9. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Just my 2 cents.. It's best not to double clutch a synchro'd transmission.

10. Trucker_Matt

Jul 14, 2012
    Downriver, MI
    no lol that was off topic. this thread is about double clutchin or floating in your big rig.

11. sixthgear11

sixthgear11 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2011
    myrtle beach, sc
    If I remember right, you were called an idiot because an explanation was given on the topic, by experienced members, people who do this day in and day out, and you sweep that information under the rug like some rubbish. If you are so wise and knowing, and can tell me how to better run my business, and maintain my equipment, why aren't you in a consulting position with all your knowledge rather than a student asking questions on the board?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.