Down 3 days due to breakdown, now CO. wants me to wait another 1.5?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by TKTEK, Sep 17, 2016.

1. TKTEK

TKTEK Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I'm at the end of my rope here, hoping some of you can tell me my options.

I work for XPO (Conway Truckload), and they have been keeping me running fairly decent as long as the piece of #### truck they stuck me with will run.

3 days ago I was barely 2 hours into a load when my truck lost the majority of its power and acceleration. I was getting a DPF warning light and check engine light as well. Tried a regen, it didn't work, still didn't have any power. Had to get towed to a shop, where they replaced the EGR valve and a couple other things.

All this happened when I was due to head home after almost a month on the road, about average for me, but I've been out longer by choice.

Got the truck back, waited all afternoon for a load, woke up at 4 am and check my computer, they have me dispatched on a load that doesn't even pick up until Sunday afternoon. Even worse, it only goes 538 miles to Laredo from here in Longview TX. I'm trying to get home to Vegas.

I gave the company almost a week notice of when I wanted to be home. I have family visiting me next week, my mom and my godmother, who I only see a few times a year. Technically this was a birthday visit, even though I was on the road on my birthday.

I'm faced with rearranging family plans AGAIN, thru no fault of my own. I know that's par for the course with this job, been doing it for 2 years, I'm trying not to whine. But to make me sit a full other day and a half after 3 days down is just ########.

The company has a terminal in Laredo, I am seriously contemplating turning the truck in after I deliver, but then of course I'll be stuck there until I find another job (obviously won't be a problem, my record is clean), but I'll still miss my mom and aunt's visit.

I spoke to dispatch, it's weekend dispatch, they could give a ####. Their attitude was suck it up buttercup.

Screw this, I missed out on a fun visit on the 4th of July for a stupid load of toilet paper and paper towels. And now because of a breakdown I'm looking at getting home a full week after I asked to arrive.

So... what would you guys do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    trucks break down, you can't change companies because of that

Gotta Give eight or nine days notice before you go home

I suggest taking a long trip so that you get lots of days off in the bank...then on your normal trips of say a month, you give your normal 8or9 day highlight...then if they happen to get your home early, you have days off in the bank to handle it

4. lcfd15

lcfd15 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    You have to realize that they probably did have a plan to get you home prior to the truck breaking down. Freight is never predictable and neither is maintenance in a fleet that large.
    They probably wanted to inch you closers or onto a freight lane that could get you that way. When you break down they're stuck now with an undetermined eta on a fix. So it's not like they can pre-plan you on a load when they don't know when the truck will be done. (We all know how trust worthy a mechanics time line is, lol)
    If this is a recurring issue, than I would have been looking elsewhere already. I would stick with them, keep pay checks flowing and find a job while working if your that unhappy so you don't have any break in employment.

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I broke down in CO, took 7 days to repair and it was my last load before going home. All I did was remind them I was suppose to be home and they paid my breakdown pay, and deadhead miles from CO to IL. Ask your manager not dispatch to get sent home

6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    You called dispatch and they don't give a sheet about your plans and aren't willing to change? And want you to sit until Sunday??? Hell no! Seek out a better job. You've earned it

mhyn, bzinger, maggard359 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I had a similar experience with Conway a few years ago. Its funny how they couldn't get me a load but when I put my 2 week notice in over the phone I had a plan for a load taking me back to Joplin from California almost immediately.

I checked for flights from Laredo to Vegas and they run around $700 roundtrip. I guess if you really need to get home you have that option.

Good Luck

NavigatorWife and TKTEK Thank this.
  8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I understand things happen. I understand trucks break down. I understand loads are not always convenient. But this tells the story right here.
    If they will treat you this way, this time, they'll treat you this way every time.

There are good companies out there. I know I am old & cantankerous, but I treat people like they treat me. You help me & I help you. If you don't try to help me, I wont make any attempt to help you. I will NOT support someone who does not support me. And I dont forget. Ask Ford Motor Co. Oh well that's another story.

You stayed out all those extra days/weeks to make them money (& granted make you money too), be a good employee etc & they wont get you home for a few days when you ask... in advance?

I know a man needs to work. I know a man generally wants to do the right thing. But there is a line. As long as you allow them to run over you, they will. They basically said ##### you.... ##### them. Find a company that will take care of you like you take care of them. Tell them...

9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Break downs happen part of the business. See if they can pre plan you to get home with different ld after this.
    That or fly home and come back and get your trk.. no problem
    Or you can get another job and ask customer for here or to go...

10. pocketaces

pocketaces Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2016
    There are companies out there that actually give a sheet and will honor your hometime requests.

I suggest seeking out a company like that. If your driving record and experience is what you say you should be fine

Just remember a company worthworking for isnt going to take your application today and schedule your orientation tomorrow...

11. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    A company that large could get you doorstep to doorstep in milliseconds if they wanted to. They have hundreds of loads in your area, more than a few of them would get you home. Why do you think their turnover rate is about average for the truckload business, about 100% per year?
    Go to work for a smaller company IN YOUR HOMETOWN to stop this insanity.

bzinger and TKTEK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.