down shifting going though mountains

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HWheelz, Jul 27, 2015.

1. HWheelz

HWheelz Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Hey I'm a driver that's relatively new to the 13 speed. I find myself grinding gears coming out of 8th low to 7th high when climbing inclines. The only way I can get around it is to allow the rpms to drop between 12-1300 and by that point Ivery already headed to the low end end of that gear. Any tips for smoother transitions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    experience. as you get used to it it will come naturally.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Try dropping a full gear from 8th low to 7th low.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    ETA: The red text is about the splitter (little doohooky on side of shifter knob), the other thing (Not red text) is the shifter!

Shifting down; Pre select High (Direct) while your still in the higher gear, let off the throttle a little shift making sure your RPM is slightly below where you think it should be and ease back into the throttle.

Shifting up; , preselect low on the splitter, back off the throttle and ease back into the throttle after you have shifted into the next gear.
    Didnt used to be able to preselect the old trans but doesnt seem to hurt the new ones.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    ^^^ THIS

EVERY truck I've driven seems to have "issues" with particular gears. Perhaps your transmission could use an adjustment, but in the meanwhile you drive with what 'brung ya'. If I'm pulling a hill with a 13, depending on the grade, I'll often drop a full gear rather than try to do the split just to avoid the issue of any delay getting into the gear and causing rpm's to drop too much.

Another thing you can do, knowing that particular gear is a problem, is make the shift earlier than you normally would. That way by the time you get into the gear you'll be in the sweet spot with your rpm's.

HWheelz Thanks this.
  7. HWheelz

HWheelz Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Thanks but I was talking about going between twork different gears. Not high and low side of the same one.

8. HWheelz

HWheelz Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Thanks I'm headed into western carolina today and I'll give it a shot

9. HWheelz

HWheelz Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Preciate the help drivers. Be careful

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Try reading one more time real slow! the method consists of using "High" and low on the splitter to slide the shifter (big tall thing) into lower gear or higher gear without grinding gears.
    BTW in that example High is DIRECT since that is what is most common! it means when the shifter is in the big hole and the splitter is in "high" (DIRECT), the engine is turning the same speed as the drive line. Not looking to argue about over and under trans either, simply sharing an easy way to get started shifting smoothly without the clutch, and some common terminology that has been used throughout the last century. Good luck!

11. BooshWhacker

BooshWhacker Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I was taught 1700 rpms on tach going uphill, upshifting, don't need to rev engine downshifting going downhill. Downshift uphill 1000-1500. Since I don't have the ear yet for listening to the rpm.

And... determine level of Engine brake needed going downhill.

Of course Doubleclutching goes without mentioning. :D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.