'Drafting' technology for semi-trucks debuts on Utah roads

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by c64basic, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Is saving money more important then saving lives? Is it a good idea to have 80,000 lb trucks tailgating
    each other to save fuel? Have the people who came up with this idea ever heard of the SMITH SYSTEM
    of driving? I wonder how many truck drivers will read this article and decide that tailgating is a great way
    to save fuel? The last I heard following another vehicle to closely is a serious driving violation and will get
    you a serious traffic citation including PSP points and a big fine. And no I don't trust technology that much.
    When you start trusting a machine to make decisions for you your going to regret it sooner or later.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    Any driver that reads that story and decides to tailgate because of it is too dense to have a CDL in the first place. Also, anybody that thinks these kinds of advancements aren't coming are only fooling themselves. I guess you don't realize that computer systems are already doing things far superior to allowing trucks to safely run 100' apart. Air travel is the safest way to travel and is dominated by computers. Are you afraid to fly? Our phones have 1,000 times more computing power than the lunar module that put the first man on the moon, and that computer was the size of a truck WITH a trailer. I would trust my phone over a lot of the idiots I see hurtling down the road these days.....

4. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I guess you haven't noticed how many dense people have a CDL these days. No I am not afraid to fly, I have
    flown in Helicopters in the Army and on commercial Airlines many times. If the Airlines had a safety record
    comparable to the trucking industry I can guarantee you that not many people would be flying in Airliners. The
    size and computing power of a computer is meaningless in regards to the safe operation of a tractor trailer.
    A computer can't think, it can not make a judgement when something it's not programmed to deal with occurs.
    Computers and phones can malfunction and be hacked or manipulated by third parties with malevolent intentions.
    The news article was about trucks drafting each other to save fuel not maintaining a 100 ft following distance.

5. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    The airlines have the safety record they have in large part thanks to computers. What part of that do you not understand? As for the 100', that was one of the distances mentioned in the article. smh

6. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    If computers are the answer to all safety issues why do Airplanes crash? Did a computer tell them what
    happened to that Malaysian Airliner that disappeared over the Indian Ocean last year? Wasn't it a computer
    malfunction that caused that Air France jet to crash a few years ago into the South Atlantic Ocean off the
    coast of Brazil? I understand quite a bit about driving trucks. I've been driving them for 20 years. I will be
    long retired before they ever develop computers that can safely and reliably replace a human being behind
    the wheel. computers frequently malfunction when least expected. That's why Airplanes have pilots and
    Copilots. Would you fly in an Airplane controlled by a computer with no flight crew in case it malfunctioned?

7. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    There's all kinds of information available to ATCs, and it still takes a human to keep the planes from running into each other...

8. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    Actually, no.....the computers keep planes from crashing into each other with human interface. Also, nobody is talking about computers replacing drivers. Watching you guys panic is actually simultaneously funny and sad. Technology will advance no matter how much you kick and scream and regardless how you feel it is actually a good thing.

9. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    The H Bomb was an advancement over the A Bomb. Was that a good thing too?

10. damil

damil Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    sure like ignition switches, airbags we are a fix the problem as it happens or more like a sweep the problem under the rug until enough people are killed kinda of business society. Technology is great to bad people worried about money have to program it

11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Formations

tumblr_nb4ywwlFc41tabncjo1_1280.jpg

4blog_-_all_six_framed_perfect_540x361.jpg

DSC06665.JPG

2015-07-14T115355Z_01_SAA67_RTRIDSP_3_FRANCE-BASTILLEDAY.jpg

1389737279003-XXX-Flight-formation--M-Unso--ld.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.