Drinking out on the road.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Edjahman, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    The only safety sensitive function that you perform is driving. If you're not relieved of responsibility for the truck and load, then you're required to log on duty.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    No, not at all; otherwise, no driver would ever be able to move a load beyond 11 hours from where it originated. Sleeper-berth is specifically excepted in the FMCSA definition of "safety-sensitive function."

§382.107 Definitions.

Safety-sensitive function means...

(4) All time, other than driving time, in or upon any commercial motor vehicle except time spent resting in a sleeper berth (a berth conforming to the requirements of §393.76 of this subchapter);

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/b/5/3
    And when you're off-duty, well... you're off-duty.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  4. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    As i stated..
    If you are a cmv operator and whether or not you can consume alcohol while on the road is a major concern to you then you do not belong in this industry....

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    That's your opinion, I suppose.

The fact that the OP is looking to protect his CDL by learning the regulations shows that he's conscientious and interested in remaining legal by following the rules.

Unlike yourself, who chooses to post incorrect information without taking the time to research and learn.

TheDudeAbides, tucker and not4hire Thank this.
  6. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
  7. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I would drink while on a 34 restart, no alcohol allowed 8 hours before going on duty. 12 hours would be better

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Four hours, not eight hours...

§382.207 Pre-duty use.

No driver shall perform safety-sensitive functions within four hours after using alcohol. No employer having actual knowledge that a driver has used alcohol within four hours shall permit a driver to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=true&=PART&n=pt49.5.382#se49.5.382_1207

9. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    If you took the time to do research you will see that i referred to company policies of zero tolerance for alcohol and or drugs while in possession of their equipment. These companies can and often do require a random urine test even while you are on your break or immediately following. If you have consumed alcohol during your 10 hr. break it will show up and result in your termination.
    If the op was concerned about protecting his cdl then he would not be considering the use of alcohol while on the road.

texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  10. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    The correct answer would have been "I need to get some rest. I'm too fatigued to get the truck to the terminal safely."

There's nothing that Swift could legally say about that.

He may have a legal case against Swift for taking adverse action against him because he refused to operate the truck in an unsafe manner. A company cannot do that.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    This is what you said, and what I was responding to:

As stated earlier, random alcohol testing cannot be done 'at any time'. Per FMCSA rules.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.