Drive-a-way company, driver turnover

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by hitchhiker301, Dec 20, 2006.

1. profithere

profithere Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Chambersburg, PA
    If a driveaway company is offering benefits, paying for all expenses such as airfare, taxis, etc. then most likely it is not as a contact driver. An independent contract driver pays for all these items themselves. Auto Transport is a company that is union and this is how they pay drivers. You get much less per mile but you also get much more. I would asume after figuring the hours involved and the healthcare it would equal too or be greater than what I'm doing as an independent. I've talked to several of these drivers and they make fairly good money but they work much harder too. They usually run decks and you have to unload each truck at the locations. This is not the easiest work.

I'm still searching for another company to get on with. I won't work for any company that is union though. I don't care for unions, but this is only my opinion.

I would love to hear of any driveaway company in South Central PA needing drivers. I'm not going to work for a company where I have to drive a few hundred miles to get the first trip. It's not worth it to me.

Steve

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trucker33

trucker33 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Logan, WV
    Can anyone tell me if these are actual companies or are these freight brokers, just finding drivers to deliver these vehicles. I would be interested in finding out A.S.A.P., because I thought about doing this but was unsure what I would be gettting into.

4. jlw24u

jlw24u Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Carlyle, IL
    People who work for non-union drive away and truck away companies are where you typically find tremendous turn over. Union drivers have better pay and benefits. We don't sleep in dive motels nor do we have to find our own way home. Turn over used to be less than what it is today. That is due to the companies bringing in management from the standard trucking inustry to run the companies. This has destroyed the morale of the drivers and deckers and the close relationships that had been forged between the company and it's employees. The company I am employed by had less than 1% turnover and now has approximately 40% due to the poor relationship between management and the workers. Getting back to pay; union pay is much higher and the benefits are paid entirely by the company. Great medical and retirement. The other benefits are frequent flyer miles and hotel points. I haven't had to pay for a vacation in 8 years. Almost forgot; the other problem we faced in our company was when they lowered the qualifications for drivers. That opened up the door to your typical (no offense meant) truck driver as opposed to your true trucking professional with an attitude that exudes true pride in every aspect of the job from driving to customer service to personal appearance aqnd conduct. basically you get what you pay for. If you take the best, you get the best results. If you scrape the bottom of the barrel, well you know the rest. I wish all of you safe journeys and God speed.

Larrylcbmixer Thanks this.
  5. utobobo

utobobo Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Lyman WY
    Check in classifieds for tow bar. Perfect for driveaway drivers. Tow your 4 wheeler behind a bobtail tractor or truck with a 5th wheel.

6. Mellowmindy

Mellowmindy Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Garland, Texas
    How about DriveAway in Garland, TX? It says it's a contract job, I take it that mean we pay all taxes, get a 1099. Does it also mean we'd be responsible for fuel and road fees? Pays .43 per mile. Tx employers are lousy when it comes to offering benefits.

7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Of it says "contractor" then YES, you pay taxes and get a 1099. As for fuel, at that rate you could not even get the vehicle to its destination so I am guessing that they supply fuel. You will receive NO benefits as you will be self employed.

8. HiTowerTransport

HiTowerTransport Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Ohio
    So...I guess...how does one, IF the decision is made, to positively get into the driveway business and profit, so long as you can plan ahead, try to stay ahead of the game?

9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Drive a way business............

use caution...............

alot of folks go broke, real fast !!!!

tomatolover Thanks this.
  10. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    We just had a guy quit our company and sign on with Truck Movers here in KC. He knows somebody that drives for them so I hope he knows what he is getting into.

11. rclsr1961

rclsr1961 Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2010
    charleston, wv
    Anyone is a fool that doesn't do drive away with a union company is a fool and also a scab. The company wants the contractors so they don't have to pay benefits. All the contractors are exactly what the company wants you are gold to them.

Larrylcbmixer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.