Driver facing camera

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Wild Murphy, May 3, 2015.

1. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    And of course the only company being reported about is Swift. Many others already also have it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    No. I read the same thing he did.

You are making no sense at all here. A forward facing camera would have caught the traffic signal and the other driver.

That's all that would have been needed.

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    So in other words, just a forward facing camera isn't good enough for you, even though it would be more than sufficient. You insist in having one in a driver's face.

You're coming off here as something of a control freak.

Subutai and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    All of those things but one can be detected by means other than a driver facing camera.
    That being eating, something just about every truck driver does while driving at some point.
    But that can also be said for EVERY driver on the road, including cops and lawyers.

Everything else you mentioned can be determined through Qualcom/truck sensors and the users own phone.

Napping doesn't really count, because no one takes a nap while driving.
    Sure, some are overtired and fall asleep - but that can hardly be considered napping.
    I'll grant you the point of a driver facing camera being able to record a driver that is showing obvious signs of fatigue, however.

6. DonRobbie

DonRobbie Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Midwest
    Imagine that's a confirmation that freight (and the economy) is slowing down again.

7. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Winter 2017 Driver facing Cameras are coming.

stevep1977 Thanks this.
  8. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Proof please lol

I've seen comments about Schneider installing forward facing cameras but if they install inward facing cameras that would be a disgrace.

The only time any company should ever consider an inward facing camera is if they are a passenger carrying outfit (taxi, limo, bus etc). There are other people that might assault someone or do something that would be in the interest of the company to document. There are no passengers in a truck so there is no benefit at all of having them.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Friday and TennMan Thank this.
  9. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    I have no proof just a prediction based off a conversation I recently had with some informed people who've never driven a truck.

PoleCrusher and stevep1977 Thank this.
  10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Camel's nose is under the tent. Within 2 years the elog will record all movement on line 3.

I used to snigger at folks wearing tin foil hats. Now they look rather comfy.

11. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Not sure it will be an expensive road. You can be sure there will be instances where the driver facing cam costs them money but by reviewing hard brake events they will also be able to weed out some bad drivers before they're involved in an unthinkable tragedy. Just having it there will keep some from doing things they know they shouldn't be doing.

I imagine they believe it will lead to less crashes long term and will be more cost effective than changing their hiring/training/pay practices.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.