Driver files

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bdog, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I try to do everything by the book but the one thing I have not kept up with is driver files. I am the only one with a CDL and one of my employees drives a non CDL pickup that only falls under dot regs when the pickup is pulling a trailer AND goes out of state which happens maybe a couple times year. Anyway we have nothing in the way of driver files.

Can someone point me to a FAQ or list of what all I need to do? I seem to recall something like needing driver records from the DMV, a road test (do I test myself?) and a pre employment application. I fill out an application for myself? My employee was working for me long before we got a DOT number. I need to make him fill out an application after he has worked for me for many years?

I try to jump through all the hoops and think we are legal on everything else but I have neglected this because it seems so stupid for an operation like mine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    thejackal Thanks this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Even without the emmployee. I think a lot of the rules are stupid.

thejackal Thanks this.
  5. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Stupid and and an unconstitutional burden on commerce ... free market my arse.

6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    J J Keller can supply you with a kit that has everything you need. Larger truck stops frequently have them on the shelf, or I am sure you can order them online.

7. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    For driver file you need
    Copy of drivers license
    Copy of medical card
    Copy of driving record
    Employment application even if you're the owner of company.

8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Citations report in addition to your state mvr. And make sure you sign the citations report.

Explained to me during dot audit.
    "You/me( the owner,driver) if you are involved in accident result you are incapacitated, how does the dot research your legal right to be driving"
    You have double duty as the owner and a driver.

When I had non cdl employees, I kept same records for everyone. Just a little cya.
    Good luck.

10. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    go to jjkeller.com and order a Driver Qualification File kit. One for EVERY driver, yourself included. Don't forget to enroll in a drug test consortium. Every driver must be enrolled and tested. The OOIDA site will be great for that. Fill everything out, follow the directions for verifications, like DMV record, and you must verify the previous three years of commercial driving, or make a good faith effort. If you were your driver's employer for that long, then thats simple. You are his employer, verify it. Go pee in a cup when you get your drug test forms from the consortium and congrats, your legal for driver qualification.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.