Driver profit split question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TransportQueen, Feb 1, 2016.

1. FAST123

FAST123 Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Easton,PA
    Truck payments are not the end of the world...believe me we have tried everything in the book leasing, buying used, buying fixer uppers from auctions. Finally last year we pulled the trigger on 2016 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution first brand new truck in our fleet. The fuel savings alone was about $300 per week. The truck has a full extended warranty we figure if the truck runs for 3 years without any major breakdown we are still ahead of the game. The breakdowns were absolutely killing s (mind you we have own shop) but with parts, down time, and a pissed driver so far its been the right move.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    You stated you're paying 25% and the other poster said he was paying 50% with which I stated you can't pay
    50% and replace or refurbish trucks. two totally different subjects. If you could pay 50% and still make money in that would be the newest recruiting tool the megas would use.

4. EMCO_Trans

EMCO_Trans Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Iowa
    I am trying to figure out how paying 25% is enough for any driver? I just don't get it. I pay 50% of the NET income guys, that is after we deduct cargo ins, trailer rental fee, 160 bucks per load, tolls, scale fees. It is not 50% of the gross income, I already stated this earlier.

5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    3k profit s month per truck is so ridiculously unrealistic its almost funny.

6. EMCO_Trans

Jan 1, 2016
    Iowa
    not at all, even on old trucks like the ones I have.

7. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    25% of let's say gross of $6,000 puts a driver at $1500 before tax. But this allows a company to take "short runs" that pay better. If you run across a 150 mile run for $1000. Driver makes $250 dollars for a 6 hours day lets say. By cpm for him to make the "250" today he has to run about 600 miles at .45 cpm. But on that $1000 150 mile run fuel will cost $60 give or take, driver another $250, which is close to $500 with you're running cost, so you end up with $500 before tax profit but your truck is running only few hours which reduces wear and tear and many other things.

One thing that's good about paid off equipment is while it lasts you can rack up money and also in tough markets stay in business because even if one truck has a major repair you still have 3-4 trucks to pull you out of the hole.

Now as far as splitting 50% with the driver after expenses I would never do. He didn't split the truck payments with you when you had them that increases this new "profit" for him.

On the other hand if you have really good drivers that will take care of your stuff and look to reduce the costs to increase profit such as not idling, avoiding tolls, etc it may work, but if you get hit with a $10,000 repair and truck only profited 4k this week does the driver split that 10k repair?

At the end everyone has their own business model, and if it works for a person more power to them.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    And you're buying and maintaining an truck on 50% ? So you're paying someone to drive(abuse) your equipment and paying them more than your making ? There's only 2-50%'s in 100% and you said you pay 50% .
    How about you just mailing me your money the end result will be the same.

Wonder where he keeps his unicorns at ?

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You've been in business 3 months. Come back in ten years and tell us how realistic it is.

10. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Anytime I make a financial decision I calculate backwards.

Insurance - 1,000/month
    Truck - $1500/month
    Trailer - $1,000/month

That's $3,500 monthly before fuel driver etc.

Perhaps a driver does 12k miles a month average (after home time etc)

Can I pay .50cpm?

That's $6,000

Now what type of fuel price and mpg? Let's say .40 cpm.

That's $4,800

Add $2000 a month for tires/repairs etc rather it's breaking down or not that's $16,800.

This is before the office or tax or tolls.

Do I do factoring? How much do they take?

Now how much do I have to gross to achieve this? At 1.40/mile that covers those expenses. So to put a $5,000 profit in my pocket I would have to gross 25k min because ifta, permits, tolls, taxes, etc.

At average 2.10 a mile I could achieve that. But I need a good driver that's happy with that pay. Can I get that minimum 25k gross on avg 12000 miles a month? Yeah? I'm going for it. No? I'm not going for it.

Obviously there are more costs/lower paid drivers etc, but this is how I plan out any structure of money when I think of "investment". Except I include everything, and see what the bottom line is even in bad situations such as the bad market, and if I'm satisfied with a profit after the headache of dealing with it all. That's why I don't do company drivers even tho I'm debating on it a lot of times.

11. EMCO_Trans

Jan 1, 2016
    Iowa
    You dont seem to understand is that my %50 is after all the expenses other than maintenance. It is not 50% from Gross income dude. There is a big difference.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.