Driver profit split question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TransportQueen, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I understand exactly what your saying
    1: You're paying a driver 50% of Net, but net doesn't include the cost of maintenance and truck (as per your statement)
    2: Since you're absorbing all the cost of maintenance and buying the truck. You're paying someone more money
    than you're making.
    3: The amounts you claim seem more wishful thinking,than realistic
    4: After you've had your own authority for a few years come and tell us how well this business model works?
    I suggest sending a copy of it to Swift, Schneider and Werner see what they think.
    5: Taking your statements at face value, you seem to like helping people more than yourself ?
    I'd suggest cashing out your trucking business and donating the money, You'll have less stress that way.
    Or you can just stick it in an envelope and mail it to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EMCO_Trans

EMCO_Trans Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Iowa
    I guess we will see how far I will get. I seem to be making more than what I am paying the driver so far. On average my drivers get about 7 loads per week which automaticaly makes me 160x7=1120 for the loads alone. Subtract that from gross and other expenses and I am always making more than the driver. Idk it just works for me bud, Yes driver makes more than me when we split the NET income but that is why I charge a flat fee for each load and I always come out ahead which helps with maintenance problem. I guess we will see how this method ends up, I plan to stick around for a while and you will know :). By the way whats with that website not updating stuff, Id think they would update it like you said.

4. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Only thing I can say is yeah, right .
    One thing for sure if what you say is half correct ?? Someone will find out and come and cut it to nothing for you.
    I read it all carefully and it don't sound plausible to me.
    So I'll just post a picture .[​IMG]

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Here is the thing, getting good drivers who are willing to work for nothing is hard to do.

Expecting them to do a risk analysis for every load is also unrealistic unless they have a crap load of experience and you willingness to let them make decisions.

I do a 60/40 split of the GROSS (60 to me and 40 to the driver), not the net, anyone doing splits of the net are cheap. This gross is to the truck, nothing else short of that. With that, I also pass through 100% of the detent unless the driver agrees to split it (like when they have to idle for a long time) and 100% of any other fees that are collected for them doing something like live load/unloads. The FSC is to the truck, not to the driver, it gets subtracted from the fuel costs to offset the cost of fuel.

People think that's all unreasonable, but it works for many of us. We, along with others who have a strict structure make a bunch of money, even with rates going down (thanks to FSC), we still maintain an average of $2.25 a mile.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    I talked to a old timer with 5 trucks here leased to Mercer and he does a 50/50 split of the gross with his drivers, the only thing is they pay for fuel. 50% of the load is put on the fuel card. He lets them dispatch themselves so if the load pays good with our fuel discount then a guy could make out real good but if he takes a cheap load then most of it's going to fuel. He said it works good for him because he gets half after fixed expenses and his drivers like it because they kinda get incentives for not idling or driving slower.

TransportQueen Thanks this.
  7. TransportQueen

TransportQueen Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2016
    This sounds like what i might be close to doing. My head is spinning lol.

From shopping around for the past few weeks i realized I'm just going to have to put what i think is fair and stick to it.

I decided to reduce my start up to 2 trucks just to see what how things work out.

I have also realized there is more competition with the price of oil.

If ive learnt anything tho, it's that some truck sellers pay their mortgage for a year on one truck all in the name of "certified preowned"...crazy!

8. Utalio

Utalio Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2018
    I want to drive for you

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    TransportQueen was last seen:

Sep 18, 2017

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.