Driving a tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Ztrucker, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Wattie411

Wattie411 Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm 3 months in a tanker now coming from construction where I hauled equipment. So far I like it and my company keeps me busy, on the road or local depending what I need. If your with a good carrier you'll go to all sorts of different places. Some you'll pull it back under a rack and they'll load thru top. Some you'll hook a hose and they pump it on you. Safety I'd very important, especially in the hazardous side. Most of the plants take it very seriously. But most of the places like that you'll never get out of your truck except to get paperwork. They do everything for you. You'll have to learn how to pump and air off. Pumping is just that, hose to pump then pump to their tank. Air is charging your tank with air so that when you open the valve it pushes the liquid thru the hose. Driving with a liquid filled trailer is dangerous and takes some getting used to buy it's not bad. You just have to allow more time and more room. Ztrucker where are you located? In with McTank in Chattanooga and they don't mind hiring someone with out tank experience. As long as your safe and can drive we'll teach you the ins n outs of tanker life. There's several more terminals on the east side of the country with the home in Cincinnati. Good luck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ztrucker

Ztrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I'm from Mississippi.

4. ira1377

ira1377 Light Load Member

May 10, 2011
    Bradenton, Fl
    You're going to need at least a year, superior might have a training program. As far as backing it's like everything else. Some places are a pita, even with a tank

5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Thull ???
    Personally, I haul asphalt, non Hazmat mostly, and love it. Been doing this for 6 years plus, and the $ is decent. Backing for me is slim to none. Crawling catwalks, and opening the hatch on top of the tank is often; loading and unloading. The gear is worn summer and winter, some plants require full respirators.
    I personally have to pump on, and pump off, with a PTO valve, operated thru my clutch in the cab; although sometimes have to use the back hoses. Not often, but still....a lot to learn, and have control of. One mistake is too many.
    No baffles here; surge is minimal because asphalt has low viscosity. Still have to take curves and on/off ramps, grades, etc.. with maximum respect.
    Tandems are often fixed if not always, in a tank. Another thing not to worry about. I've never done food-grade; happy here.
    Good luck, man. Check out some posts by Thull. He started with SNI tanker division recently; food grade I believe.

Thull Thanks this.
  6. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Yea man you can check out my Thread in the Schneider forum I update it as much as I can. If I knew how to tag it here I would. I'll update when I can

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanx, bro! I dunno how to, either...LoL! Or I would have... Work beckons, be safe, man!

Thull Thanks this.
  8. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Well I just drive. All I've ever pulled are smooth bores and I just figure the surge is part of the job. These people that claim to be so smooth as to prevent surge make me laugh.

Tankers do have to back but not always and usually other anywhere to tight but it's still trucking, tough backs happen.

The winter months can be a bit slow but in my experience it isn't too bad.

Tankers are the easiest way to make money in trucking in my opinion. I enjoy it.

51.50 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    What's wrong with Trimac?

10. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    G13Tomcat, ethos and Thull Thank this.
  11. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    G13Tomcat and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.